1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did it take? Finding friends.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by iliketolift1, Jun 27, 2017.

1. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys, i'll get straight to the point here. How long did it take for you to find lgbt friends offline? Did you find them before you came out or after and does it matter? I really want to find other people like me in my school etc but we dont have a gsa or anything like that. Does that mean I need to be out to find friends that are gay or do you think I will just gravitate to people like that? I really dont know tbh, Im just rambling but your input or experiences would be appreciated!

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I seem to find them everywhere, and I have no idea why. Most of the time they are just my acquaintances rather than friends, though.

I'm also going to a very LGBT friendly college, to the point they have posters everywhere- I think It's just easy for everyone to be out or to sense it from others.

3. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope that I find people who are open about their sexuality soon. I think that would mean I would need to be open about mine though...:joy:

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny. I actually have a large group of gay friends that I literally met the first time I went to a gay bar, well over twenty years ago. Most of us are married now and so we're not quite as tight as we were but we're still there for each other.

5. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Noted I will go to gay bars when I am of legal age. I do have a question though, Im always hearing stories of people going to gay bars and their experiences etc. however in these stories they always seem to be under 21. Do some gay bars allow minors in the US (I know in other countries like Germany 16 is the legal age) or are these people just sneaking in? Its always been a real mystery to me.

6. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a couple of friends whom I didn't even know were bi until I came out to them. Once I worked up the courage and came out, they're like "it's ok, I'm bi." It threw me at first because I assumed they were straight and was worrying about them accepting me. You could have LGBT friends and just don't know it yet.

As for legal ages in gay bars, I know that legal drinking age is set by the state, not the bars, so I'd assume that if you're under the age of 21 in the US then you can't get in unless you sneak in. I knew a few people when they were in their late teens got themselves fake IDs so they could get into clubs and bars. I wouldn't recommend doing that, but that's me.

7. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I dont want to sneak in anyway lol. I was just wondering how so many people are getting in lol. Thank you for letting me know though! As for the lgbt friends thing Im switching schools next year and am leaving behind almost all of my friends (which is a good thing they were jerks). I dont really wanna come out but I also desperately wanna find other gay, bi or anything friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I guess we will see what happens in september! This new school will be a completely fresh start! Im switching everything from classes to curriculum (british to american system) it should be exciting.