1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is LGBT life for you where you live (country/state/city)?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sisyphusstone, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

It's alright in Phoenix. But there are a lot of Mormons around, and well (generally speaking) Mormons are not too accepting of gays.
    Next year I am transferring from my community college to a university in the very liberal town of Flagstaff. I'm quite excited. I might come out when I'm up there.

2. Hoppip

I live in the nice, rectangular state of Colorado. My school itself is a pretty safe school. The administration gives our GSA more crap than the students. Including me, there's 10+ openly LGBT kids at my school.

I'm a bit more cautious about Denver, though. I've only been down there a few times, but once I went at night with only two friends (one whom was gay) and I was pretty hesitant.

I guess I'd say my town is moderate-taboo-accepting. It's not discussed, but it's tolerated.

^_^

3. ArcusPuer

lol yeah i used to thinik that i'd grow up and live in docklands or some nice place in the city...
    the most overpriced places ever i fukin swear!
    i had a first aid course the other day and the intructor went on this big rant about how ridiculously small apartments near the city are even though they cost like 600k.
    gah! i'll never be able to afford it!

4. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I have this crazy dream of owning the penthouse of the Eureka tower.. Sure living 86 floors up would be nice, but like $7 million! T_T
    It is possible to get cheaper places in a lot of the newer developments, but compared to suburbia, the city is naturally more expensive.

But in a way it's also paying for a lifestyle. Living in the city would be so much more safer for us gays than living in cruel country suburbia.

5. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would think where I live the LGBT would be high and great but it's not really. I'm in San Bernardino County (Biggest County in U.S.) and it just seems that there's not a whole lot for LGBT Support Groups.

We have one at the Colleges but those are like almost nonexistent. But I'm glad I have a small group of friends who are gay and proud and still able to find other people in the Inland Empire that are involved in LGBT, I would love to help out the younger people in SB County who are struggling with their sexuality but it just seems I don't have the time being a Full Time student.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's non-existent. I don't know how it is in Las Vegas, but I live in a smaller city outside of Las Vegas and to my knowledge it's non-existent. That's what happens in small, conservative, religious towns. :frowning2: Lol.

7. Markio

Well, I grew up near San Francisco, and now I go to a Liberal Arts college with a QSA and Transgender Training, etc. But really, I went to Catholic elementary and high school, so my self-worth is really distorted. I ought to be able to make a safe transition, though, where I am. Just not to my family...

8. SRSLYMARK

As many have said, Illinois is like this melding of all these different ideas and cultures, and it can be totally different depending on where you live.

I feel blessed to live in the northeastern part of the state, by Chicago, instead of areas to the south and west, which tend to be less accepting of gay people. In general, the Chicago suburbs are accepting of homosexuality, but there's no solid LGBT community. There's one gay club in Joliet called MANeuvers (barf), but there's not a whole lot for the under-18 gay crowd.

If it's any indication, I came out of the closet at the age of 14 to absolutely no shock or fanfare. It's accepted, but at the same time, it's not celebrated.

9. MbbM

MbbM Guest

Seeing that there is only one european point of view in this thread, i decided to write too.

I'm currently living in between two countries (bless the European Union!) and in my home country, which is Portugal, everything is still very, very, very, very, very..you get the idea, backwards!!! Catholic Church still has a very big hold on people, and most of the population is rather homophobic. Is quite sad, really.. especially if we look to our neighbours, Spain, and they have gay marriage legalized. I wonder if we are ever to get there. I'm in my twenties and i don't think i'll see it in my lifetime :frowning2:
    There are GLBT organizations, clubs etc, but they mostly concentrate in the city of Lisbon (capital of Portugal), some too in our second major city-Porto, apart from that it's pretty desert like to anyone who's not straight.

I'm also living in Germany right now, and there everything is diffirent. German people have a generalized indifference towards non-straight people, at least the western part, i can't say the same for little villages in the ex-DDR. There are a lot of events that include the LGBT community and they are cherish by everyone, it's nice to see straight people also involved and enjoying.
    Last May I was in the Underground going to see some friends, and i noticed two girls on the platform waiting for the train. They were holding hands and kissing, no one said anything or even seemed bothered. They were maybe 15/16 years old, which gave me hope that the next generations will be ok with displays of affection in public.
    It's a common sight to see gay couples shopping and no ones says anything.
    There are a fair share of gay and lesbian celebs, and let's not forget the Major of Berlin is openly gay, and there are rumours he might be running for Angela Merkel's job in the next ellections.
    There are gay couples in soap-operas and movies, which is still unthinkable in my home country.

As for other countries were i've been, France seems to be in the right track, but I have the feeling people there still have to fight towards more rights, also Sarkosy isn't exactly gay friendly...
    Although Paris did have (still does? i dunno) a gay Major.

Holland/The Netherlands, i have the feeling it used to be better. In the last seven years things see to me to have gone a step back. (correct me if i'm wrong!)

I think that's enough:icon_bigg

10. Ty

Ty

Oxford is very liberal and has quite a noticable gay community - most likely enchaneced by the fact that we have two massive universities which contribute hugely to the population.

I've never had any trouble nor do I feel threatend or oppressed at any time :slight_smile:

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's fun here in Denver. Lots to do. There are the standard gay clubs, some more casual hang-outs, clubs that cater to "bears", theater, local music venues, the symphony, a "gay section of town" with shops and galleries and al that. Even the churches seem generally cool with it all.

>>>It's non-existent. I don't know how it is in Las Vegas, but I live in a smaller city outside of Las Vegas and to my knowledge it's non-existent.

It was weird. When we visited Vegas once, we had it in our head there'd be a lot of "gay stuff" to do. When we asked our concierge, he had to admit he didn't know of any gay clubs or anything. We asked a taxi driver if he knew of anything, and he said he knew of one gay club (which may have been a strip club), so he took us there. It had been closed down for at least six months, which gives you some idea how often this cab driver is asked this question.

It was OK by us - we were tourists, just looking for stuff to do, and there's plenty to do in Vegas. But if you're gay and actually live there, that might be more problematic.

Lex

12. You'd think there would be in Vegas too, what with it being Sin City and all.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In the UK we have an equal age of consent for straight, gay and lesbian sex at 16, civil partnerships (gay marriage in all but name) and generally good legal rights etc.

Hereford has a single gay-run gay/mixed pub which is the about the only regular gay social life available. They run gay discos in the upstairs function room once a month and for special events like new year's eve. It's a good place, though evenings vary depending on what entertainment is on (some fills the place with straights).

Hereford is a smaller city surrounded by rural farming villages so it tends to be a bit backward compared to bigger cities. I wouldn't walk through town holding hands with a guy as someone would yell "fag" sooner or later. A somewhat camp mate won't walk around town in the evenings alone.

14. zoeee

i think as MbbM said, Germany is pretty accepting of Germany. But it also depends where abouts in Germany you live, for example there are some places where the majority is catholic and conservative, like bavaria, and I think being gay there is much harder than for example in Berlin...but it also depends on if you are living in a small community or a big city, people in cities are generally more open...but still, i live in a big city and still every second (bad) word is "gay"...which is really annyoing me. people just don't seem to think, "gay", "spastic", "disabled", etc are probably about the most used words among teenagers...they don't think about how this could affect gay/spastic/disabled people...and i think most people don't even think there might be gay people around them...it's just naturally assumed EVERYONE is straight...=( But still, I think Germany is moderatly accepting of gays. Depends, my family is pretty open and my friends, too but I also know people where I think they might not be accepting and open what so ever....depends.

15. zoeee

ps: there is this kind of gay marriage...a Civil union, and then you've basically got the same rights as straight married couples, i think...

16. ElizabethAnne

I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and the people here are pretty nonchalant about being gay, with a few notable exceptions (the Christian people I grew up with are exactly like the deep South Americans...). Above all, everybody is very polite and politically correct about everything. They might stare at you a little as you walk down the street, but wouldn't say anything. In Montreal though, there's the place to be if you are a gay Canadian - it's was so lovely to be there in the summer with my gf cuz we could do anything we wanted an no one would say anything about it.

17. Cool Beans

Here in a very rural area of southern Pennsylvania, there is no LGBT life to speak of. There's a girl in my grade who is presumably out (everyone knows she was dating a girl, so I guess that counts as being out), and I think there might be a bi girl or two in the lower grades. The bi girls don't seem to get any flak beyond behind-the-back "She's bi!" I don't think anyone gives the lesbian in my grade a hard time about any of that. But I think if we had an out gay guy, he would not fare well at all. Clearly, I'm not willing to put that theory to the test. People at my school love to say "That's gay." It's a moderately homophobic place.

As for the outside community, I am not aware of any gay organizations or clubs in the area, which includes a city of about 40,000 people. Again, homophobic.

18. RonApple

RonApple Guest

South Africa.... well there is nothing down here which is really supporting of LGBT people. I think in my city there is one gay club situated in a dodgey area on the outskirts of my City. Not sure about the other cities, but there are no progay clubs/bars/communitygroups around.

Most of the new generation seem to be OK with gay people, but the older 30+ generation are mostly against it, they were brought up very conservatively and taught to live by the big black book (bible)

Oh, and i don't think there is such thing as gay marriage here, i havnt actually checked :/ But gay people are definitely treated differently, they are seen as weak and weird people and others are frowned at if you socialize with gay people.

19. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The small towns of Connecticut are awful and aren't well tolerant of gays...the cities like New Haven, Stamford and Hartford of course are. The college towns are also tolerant of gays like Storrs -where I go to school. However, my town where I grew up is the most Republican and conservative of any town in southern Connecticut. It's a shame they aren't more open like the majority of residents are on such an issue. The younger generation is almost full heartedly open to the gblt community.

20. MbbM

MbbM Guest

Yes, the right to inherite from your partner and to be present at hospitals while they are sick. I think (note the word think) their also have the right to adoption...Am i right?