1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important are gender roles for you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anthracite, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Cinis

Cinis Guest

You make a good point actually. If a female acts stereotypically masculine or wears men's clothing she'll probably have to deal with some rude comments etc. But if a man does feminine things or wears traditional feminine clothing such as dresses and make up the amount of hate and disrespect he'll have to face is a great deal larger than that of the woman.
    It is in fact possible for a woman to show up on a job interview wearing a men's suit while it would be completely unacceptable for a man to show up in a dress.this shows that females breaking gender roles is largely socially accepted while men doing the same is not.

The reason for that is that during the first and second wave of feminism women fought for the right of a men's role along with equal rights. Since men did not need to fight for equal rights there was no counter movement that would have involved the right of a woman's role for men.

I do apologize as it has got nothing to do with your original thread but i felt like adding it since it's something we tend to overlook when talking about how everyone is free in their gender roles and presentations in our society when the truth is that not everyone actually is.

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

No Cinis, it's okay, this absolutely belongs here. It's kinda like gender roles in general thread. Where I am it's actually okay for men to use make up, like cosplay or darkened eyes as a rocker (which can sometimes be really hot), but in general you are right of course.
    Say the job interview: I imagine myself as the interviewer. A woman with blazer and tie would actually gain plus points for me because I associate that with strenght, determination and confidence. A man in a dress would make me ask if he's trans if he's not it would probably be the end of the interview. Even if there were no contact with customers, the only reason I would continue the interview would be out of respect.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is also the area you live in. As I can tell you out here in farm/ranch country, women do just as much work as the men do around here. Blue Jeans and boots are the clothing of choice for both genders. I see plenty of women driving beat up barely running trucks full of manure, sugar beats or potatoes; just like their father, husband, sons and daughters. I have seen high school girls back up a trailer faster and better than men twice their age. A friend's wife helps deliver calves when it is that time of the year.

Maybe you big city folk need to quit fussing and just roll up your sleeve and get stuff done lol