1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important are appearances with relationships?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Deaf Not Blind

wrong.

i have seen lots of ugly ass guys get the hot girl.

seems like she was so hot, all the good looking guys felt scared of being turned down, but then she was lonely and when the brave guy with a plain face and big nose asked her out, well...rest is history.

but you are very wrong to assume that "ugly" don't get dates...btw, ever seen some rock stars?

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2013 at 02:58 AM ----------

^ She got it.

2. Alexander69

Idk some people put up with bs because there partner is gorgeous..... And it bothers me when i hear people say "wtf is she doing with him" or "wth is he doing with her" etc...... It's like just because someone is not as good looking doesn't mean someone doesn't find them attractive. Someone Can have abs and be a chubby chaser.... It all depends what that persons tastes are.....

3. MatthewJS

SOME guys/girls only go for appearance which makes those people a b**ch or douche which makes them turn down the best guys/girls. I want some guy with a great peronality and have same interest.

4. Deaf Not Blind

Example of famous unattractive men who's talents and charm get women: Lyle Lovett, and Steven Tyler.

Be awesome, you will get more than just a date.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being famous, ya know, helps too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. aconite

Well said :eusa_clap attractiveness isn't decided only by appearance. My girlfriend always said she thought she will love some beautiful girl instead of me, and she found it all wrong. We both agreed neither of us looks good. But we still found that we love each other despite so.

I daresay appearance doesn't matter to me. Personality does.

7. Jim

Jim

Appearance does matter to be in that if someone is good looking, their personality makes them absolutely stunning. Though I have NEVER in my life fancied someone on looks alone. I've seen people and thought they were pretty, but never properly fancied them.

I met my girlfriend online, so I didn't know what she looked like really until after we had been chatting a lot and I grew really close to her. Personality matters a lot more than looks to me.

8. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

It's a combination of the two

Appearance and Personality

Appearance draws someone in but a good personality and that special click that you can have with someone and they will stay

You get what... I mean

9. Pain

Pain Guest

Appearance is quite important, IMHO. Like other users have said, it starts the interest. I'm not gonna make out with someone I don't find attractive. Also, I'll always try to look my best for someone I love. That's a given. I don't care if I'm sick; I'll make myself look appealing just because it's worth the effort for that special one.

10. kem

kem

To me, both matter. Looks are important but they are something that you get used to over time. I thought my ex looked great; groomed, handsome and tall. Later I heard that he was considered quite unattractive at school. And I don't think there's anything wrong in only being interested in good-looking people, we're all entitled to being interested in whomever we want...

11. RainbowBright

I agree! That is not even remotely true. The people I know who have been in the most relationships, going way back to middle school, were all people who were considered unattractive. Their self esteem was especially low, and they overcompensated by putting out and saying yes to anybody who asked (and a lot of people asked because they seemed approachable). Also, these people tend to be very giving (and forgiving) in relationships and sexually, again to overcompensate for not feeling attractive enough. When you get older, lots of other factors come into play like having a lot of money, working long hours at the same job, things that get people laid that have nothing to do with attractiveness.

Not to say attraction isn't important, but to say it is the defining factor between having a lot of relationships and not is way overstating it. A person considered unattractive in one pool can be the top contender in another group - you just have to get with the type of people who are into your look, and you would be amazed how many people are really into things you thought no one was. There is no such thing as ugly for all people, or attractive for all people, it changes by culture and individual.

#31 RainbowBright, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  12. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personality is far more important to me than looks, but looks themselves do factor in here and there. I'll confess that I'm less willing to date another person if I'm not physically attracted to them, but usually it's not that important if the person is really nice and I like them for their personality.

13. SeerOfHeart

Adding on to what a lot of people have been saying; appearances may matter at first, especially if you don't know the other person very well yet, but they shouldn't make or break a relationship. No matter how good-looking I may think you are, if you're a complete asshole I'm not going to stay with you.

On the flipside, it still does matter a tiny bit. If I get along well with someone but I'm not physically attracted to them at all, I don't think things would last very long romantically speaking. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so this part is all very subjective.

14. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I think personality is the most imlortant thing but i do need to find her attractive to be attracted to her!

15. GayJay

i think its more the personality thats important as i think you will have a more sucsessful and long lasting relationship if you get on with the person more than if you think their hot.
    But of course if you didnt find the person attractive in the firsg place then you prob wouldnt try get to know them and know their personality for the relationship to start. So yeah looks do play a part, but in my opinion arent the most important thing.

16. redstormrising

physical attractiveness will catch my attention, but it's the personality that will keep it. what's attractive to one person may not be attractive to another, though. and it's a damn good thing, otherwise everyone would be chasing after the same few people :slight_smile:

17. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I have to get along really well with the person for looks to become non important. I'm no super model, so I think it's wrong for people to set physical standards and then deny another person because of those standards. However, someone's looks are what gets my attention. Their personality is what lets me decide if I like them or not.

To quote Aristophanes in Plato's Symposium:
    "Love does the best that can be done for the time being: he draws us towards what belongs to us"

18. I go for the looks; stay for the chemistry. :slight_smile:

19. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

And wealthy.

20. AaronG

AaronG Guest

For me looks are normally what cause a relationship to begin but if a good looking person is a total douchebag then the relationship probably won't last very long