1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Latinokid, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's not easy coming out to anyone, but when you do there is so much relief knowing you don't have to hide anymore.

Coming out to family members is definately the hardest though (says me, who hasn't done it yet either!). It's difficult no matter who you come out to, but more so with family because you don't want to upset them, or feel as though they are somehow dissapointed. Not all family members will react the same way. Some will be perfectly fine with your sexuality & others may take some time to accept it. I don't think there should be any major dramas with your mother, unless there is a strong religious presence, which I know can cause a few issues.

Take it one step at a time. Don't rush yourself into telling people until you feel ready to. I'm slowly working my way through my friends, telling them one by one. I will discuss my sexuality with my family when I'm ready. But I don't think that's going to be for a while yet. It does get easier the more people you tell & you'd be surprised how few people will react negatively.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

2. Bryan

I wont lie, telling your parents is hard, particulary when they dont see it coming, it is like droping a bomb on them, but it isnt the end of the world, infact it is very rewarding. If you are ready, and make sure you are ready to tell them, I would recomend talking to these people: The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender National Hotline
    CONTACT INFO:
    Toll-free 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564)

HOURS:

Monday thru Friday from 1pm to 9pm, Pacific Time
    Saturday from 9am to 2pm, Pacific Time

(Monday thru Friday from 4pm to midnight, Eastern Time
    Saturday from Noon to 5pm, Eastern Time)

Email: [email protected]

It may sound wierd, but they are pros and will help you, they helped me alot. Anyway, good luck and just know that you arent alone, we are all here for you.