1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you picture the day of your death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Oct 17, 2013.

1. GingerGuy

Sorry if the thread might seem morbid guys (oh wait, it is).

We can never know or be sure about when or how we will eventually die. But we can plan the way we would like to be taken care of in our final days, and find a way to express to the people who lived with you how much gratitude you had for having them in your life. Of course, it only applies if you happen to die naturally from your old age, like most people do.

Recently, since my grandparents are all over 80 and probably won't be around for much longer, I've been thinking a lot about death. I imagine how they disappear for real from my life, and even read the newspaper obituaries to get used to the feeling of loss. When the time comes, I know I'll cry, despair, perhaps even fall into depression for a while. Eventually I will get over it like everyone does, but the memories I have of them, as well as the feeling of irreparable loss, will remain forever. And I also know that I will be old someday, and die. Everyone's job on earth is to make life worth living, but to also make death worth dying.

When the day comes, I want to be at least 75, and preferably between 80 and 90. I don't think ill live to a very long life, and I also don't want to, because many heavy losses of friends and family would come on the way. My ideal death will be in my house, because I'll demand to leave the hospital in case of a terminal ilness. My partner will be there, and so will be a couple of living friends. I'll die slowly from congestive heart failure or a disease like pneumonia, and tell them how much I love them, and how much happy they made me for many years. If I slip into a coma, I don't care: just turn off the goddamn machines. Finally, when I know it's coming, I'll just take my last breath, lay my head on the pillow, and go. Even though it will probably be my fate, since they are the most common causes of death, I dont want to leave this world in a sudden heart attack or stroke. Because then there would be no way to say goodbye.

Sorry about the sad theme guys, but this is a part of life that we will sooner or later have to deal with. Enjoy your life while you can. And also plan beforehand the daÿ it ends, because it might not be the way you think it will.

#1 GingerGuy, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Death has a whole variety of ways to take place. For some it's all over in an instant. For others, it's a long, drawn-out process. I think I'd rather it be in my sleep and quick.

3. Ylee022

Out Status:
    Some people
    Before I die, I'd like to go skydiving. And if I so happen to die on the way down then so be it. Better than landing and injuring myself. But I don't think I would want to live till my 80s or 90s.

4. staychill

staychill Guest

I honestly really don't want to be an old person. It just seems so depressing the way that lots of old people just sit in their house waiting until their day comes. I really don't want that to be me, so I'm hoping I'll go out in a really cool way, but I have no idea of how I actually will die. I might die doing something dumb like rock climbing or offroading, but I'll most likely die of old age.

5. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It would be cool and unforgettable.

6. AmityRanch

Hopefully science can prevent death before my time comes.
    I don't like thinking about this shit. T_T

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan on being an awesome old person. My death will probably come in some medical form because I don't take as good care of myself as I should. But in the event that it's violent, I hope it's protecting somebody I love, and that I get the chance to give 'em hell before it happens.

8. sammy1

I'm just hoping that I go to sleep one night and not wake up again..no pain just lights out.

9. prism

Talking and reminiscing with family. Reflect on what I was proud of and what I regretted, and try to give wise parting advice.

But most importantly, I want to be laughing. I'm the type of person who will be telling jokes on her death bed. :slight_smile:

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family (direct ancestors) have a strange habit of dying at the age of 92, and I have a healthier diet and better exercise than those relatives, so here's hoping I live long. :lol: I don't like to think of how I will die, but I imagine it'll be a boring old heart condition or liver failure or some dreary medical issue.

11. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know for sure I want to go out amazingly for sure id want people to remember me and smile cause I I made that kind of impact on them.
    This thread actually still found a way to make me kinda sad.

12. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm morbid, I always picture myself dying young (around 30, maybe younger). I dunno, I could just never see it any other way...I dunno how, I feel like it'd probably be an accident. At times I think something worse like murder.

It's cool, cause truthfully, I don't want to live past 40. To me it's about quality, not quantity, and while I'm sure MANY people LOVE their 40+ years, and that's great, I know it's not something I, personally, want.

*feels morbid* but YOU asked!

#12 chercheur, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  13. biggayguy

There is a form called Five Wishes. In Five Wishes you can tell people how you want to be treated in your final days, what kind of funeral you want, who you want to make medical decisions for you if you can't speak. I have one filled out but not yet signed. I need someone I can trust that will be around to carry out my wishes.

14. Hexagon

Death by firing squad, for 'treason'

15. Probably happen fairly young in my case, and will be caused by a mix of high cholesterol, diabetes, cirrhosis of the liver, and caffeine induced heart problems combined with the massive stress of sexual reassignment surgery.

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hopefully later as opposed to sooner. Depends on mood...

17. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I must die, I'd like to at least have the organs of a cisguy first...
    And, hopefully, the secret to agelessness will be discovered by then.
    Then, the only way I could die is via disease or injury.

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't really think about it all, not the specifics of it anyway. A philosophy I kind of adopted is that Death is only relevant when it happens or can be prevented, I'll focus on life while I'm alive instead

19. nichison

I want to go in a way that people that see it will go wow. Like a big explosion or a skydiving accident or something.

#19 nichison, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  20. Lewis

Hopefully I am lying in my own bed sleeping peacefully and eventually take my last breath unknowingly. I would also like to be laid next to someone that loves me who I have spent years of my life with.