1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you explain being demiromantic?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by morpho, Jun 8, 2014.

1. morpho

Hi all,
    I was wondering if there were any other demiro people on here, and if so I was curious as to how you would explain what being demiromantic is like for yourself? Just curious.
    Thanks in advance

2. idkgrrrl

I've never heard of demiromantic before but I've heard demisexual? I think since demisexual means "not sexually attracted until a deep connection is formed first" (not the literal definition but somewhat there) --- so that demiromantic MIGHT mean you aren't romantically attracted until you have sex with them?

Like in the movie Strictly Sexual this dude falls in love with this girl AFTER they have casual sex. They were both opposed to a romantic relationship but they soon started to love each other and care for each other.

3. morpho

yeah, it's part of the aromantic spectrum. i've always defined it as "a lack of potential for romantic attraction until a close bond or connection is formed", but i've seen other people phrase it differently so i was curious. uwu

4. BelleFromHell

I fit into the "demi-homoromantic homosexual" label, but I don't use it. Just plain "lesbian" is so much easier to use, and it gets to the point.

Anyone and everyone I know knows I'm not capable of falling in love with strangers and I don't feel the need to use a special label (but if you do, that's fine).

I find the meaning of the prefix "demi" to be pretty offensive, but that's a rant for another day.

NO. "Demiromantic" means you can't fall in love with someone until you get to know them.

5. idkgrrrl

NO. "Demiromantic" means you can't fall in love with someone until you get to know them.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so does that mean I'm demiromantic? Cause I cannot fall in love with just anyone? Like of course I have those "i am in LOOOOOVE with /celebrity/!" But that's not the same thing.
    I just thought semi romantic might have been sort of the opposite of demisexual. It was just my interpretation, but thank you for clearing it up.

6. jahow95

I think this is the most specific sexuality related label I've ever seen

Is it actually 'to fall in love'? Or just be romantically attracted? Because surely nobody can fall in love with someone they don't know well? If it's falling in love.... can you fall in love enough times to work out that the way it happens for you is abnormal?

I must be bisexual (or hetero) demiromantic.

I don't mean to offend, I can see it might come off like that. I am genuinely interested rather than trying to mock.

#6 jahow95, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. idkgrrrl

See, I don't mean to offend either but I'm not sure if I understand that well. :help:

8. jahow95

Haha sorry.

Two people have posted definitions, one saying that demiromantic people only experience romantic attraction after getting to know someone, one saying the that demiromantic people only fall in love after getting to know someone. The difference is key, isn't it? Because nobody can fall in love with someone before getting to know them.

9. idkgrrrl

What I am picking up is that demiromantic is the exact opposite of love at first sight. Like I thought that was a belief or whatever..

10. jahow95

i don't think that love at first sight is actually love. I would imagine it to be intense romantic and sexual attraction and infatuation about a person but not falling in love. I would describe everyone as demiromantic if it requires you to fall in love rather than experience romantic attraction.

11. idkgrrrl

I agree completely.

12. jahow95

#(!)

13. Acm

Acm Guest

From what I understand isn't this sort of a common thing?

14. idkgrrrl

That's what I came to understand too.

15. jahow95

I want to hear what Morpho has to say. What's the actual definition of it?

16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Demisexuality I can sort of understand...demiromantic makes no sense at all. NOBODY feels romantic attraction to someone until they get to know them, that's what the definition of "romantic attraction" is. Sure some people date people and call them 'boyfriend/girlfriend' before they know them, but that's not real romantic attraction, just like a guy who has a girlfriend can still be gay. Romantic attraction literally means an affectionate bond to someone you have known for ages; It's literally impossible to be 'romantically attracted' to someone you've known under a year.

17. I usually don't explain it to people by saying demiromantic/demisexual. What usually ends up happening is a girlfriend would be like "oh wow he's so sexy, don't you think he's hot?" And I'd be like I'm not too sure, I sort of have to see how he acts and get to know him better and I leave it at that.

18. idkgrrrl

A demisexual is someone who does not experience sexual attraction until the individual knows a potential partner. Demisexuals run the gamut of human sexual attraction. They can be gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual or pansexual. They cannot, for obvious reasons be Asexual. If they only experience romantic attraction, those individuals are Demiromantic.

Found this online.

19. tone

I'm not demiromantic but from my understanding it's like sexuality.
    Some people can see someone and think "I would have sex with that person" without getting to know them and some people can only want to have sex after they know them well.
    So I always thought of romantic attraction as wanting to do romantic things, not necessarily being in love. So you could see someone you don't know and you find attractive and think "I want to cuddle with them" or "I want to be in a relationship with them" or really anything romantic whereas demiromantic people wouldn't consider stuff like this until they know someone really well.

I don't know if that's the definition but that's how I've always though of it

20. idkgrrrl

This is too confusing! I'm so confused! What is life!! Why do we even need labels. Oh god ..