1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with hurtful things homophobic family members say?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BelieveinLove94, Mar 18, 2017.

1. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Last night I was sitting with my parents watching television. My mom knows I'm a lesbian but she is now in denial that I ever told her. I don't think my stepdad knows, i haven't told him because he's very open about his dislike for gay people and i still live with them while finishing college so I don't feel safe coming out to him. Anyway, this commercial came out about the Beauty and the Beast play, my mom said something about them having a gay character in the movie. That's when my stepdad said, "LGBT doesn't stand for what everyone thinks it does. It really stands for Liberty, Guns, Beer, and Trump. Everything else is just a figment of the imagination." My stepdad has always been hurtful towards me so I know I probably shouldn't care but that really hurt. I think what hurts the most though is that
    my mom agreed with him. How do I deal with homophobic family because this is really getting old.

2. TheOneCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Liberty Guns Beer and Trump"? sounds like really conservatibe parents you have. I think that near the end of your college year, if your mum and dad say something homophobic, you should come out to them, at that very moment.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah... I think your stepdad might be wrong there. Somebody such as myself has standards, and would never stand under such an acronym. Reminds me of my old stepdad except even more "enthusiastic".

Your family sounds more vocal than mine, and they still manage to put me in a vile mood. I'm not too sure of efficient coping methods...

4. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I know it sounds tough. But I would suggest surrounding yourself around positive people who understand what you're going through. I may not give the best advice. But I'm going to try to help the best way that I can. It is important to realize that your sexual orientation is not a choice. There shouldn't be such a stigma to being LGBT. I'm sorry if my advice is all over the place. But I think it is important to understand your worth. I think you should wait to come out. Do you think you can handle a negative reaction? What are the pros of coming out? Cons? Try to weigh the pros and cons. Can you handle the anxiety of hiding your sexuality? Try to think deeply about your answers to these questions.

You have to realize that people who have prejudice against the LGBT+ community are dealing with problems of their own. Dealing with close-minded and toxic people on a daily basis sounds exhausting, but I would suggest trying to distance yourself from that topic around them.

Feel free to send me a Pm if you like.

I wish you luck.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I call them out for it.

6. queerlucifer

If it won't get you in a problematic situation, stand up for yourself. Don't allow it.