1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Access EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Nov 29, 2013.

?

How Do You Access Empty Closets MOST Of The Time?

1. Computer, Laptop

82 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows phone, etc.)

19 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Tablet (iPad, etc.)

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Other (Please specify below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hexagon

Laptop, phone. It should be multiple choice.

2. Spaceman

3. Eevar

Desktop PC mainly, sometimes my phone but not much.

4. Mrtambourineman

In-private on chrome on my laptop..im still refusing to buy a smartphone :wink:

5. yeah - not using chrome anymore - it ate itself an bombed - using Pale Moon. - in fact I throw a fit anytime the computer tries to autoload chrome (I hate when things automatically do stuff I don't want as if they know what I should have, I am the human let me decide what I want) frakkin' Cylons taking over the planet gonna end up killing us all :***:

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll throw my reply into this thread seen as the other thread has been locked whilst I was asleep.

The situation regarding an EC app isn't necessarily dependant on x amount of people supporting its development, and the poll itself doesn't really help reflect any opinions on how quickly EC should invest in an app. As Hexagon said, the poll should be multiple choice, and should instead be asking how people would access EC. The poll at the moment shows under 20% accessing EC mostly from their phone, and that paints a completely different picture than, say, 95% of people who *would* access EC from an app if that was available to them.

Saying that, I don't think the app itself is being held up by any admins who think it isn't a good idea and/or isn't needed. You're not going to encounter any objections from me for creating it, nor have I heard any objections from others that would veto or delay the apps development significantly. Unfortunately, the biggest obstacle the app has to overcome is that it's high on a list of priorities alongside other major changes to the website. These changes would, if implemented after an app, render it pretty much useless and would require the app to either be remade, or to undergo some serious re-designing to make it work. For example, some people have pointed out that vBulletin Mobile is a simplistic programme that we could get today and have it set up rather quickly. However, there's no guarantees that vBulletin will continue to be our forum software in the near-future, as the site upgrade (which has been going on since the beginning of time) has been significantly affected by vBulletin's announcement that vB4 will no longer be developed further and is essentially an unfinished product, and that vB5 will now be the version that they focus on. vB5 itself would be good if it actually worked, but it's so volatile and buggy that I'm not even contemplating having it set up on a test site at this point in time.

An app for EC is definitely on the to-do list, but it's up near the top alongside other major things that need sorting before we can focus on an app. It's no use marketing an app for x amount of months just to then undergo software and design changes that render it useless, which then requires us to develop a new app for you all to download. Additionally, the app presents various security concerns that prevent us from just going to other sites (whether it be Amazon, Tapatalk etc), as we need to ensure that our custom-made security features are integrated into any app that we send out for downloading and marketing. There are also concerns regarding how to keep the app discreet so that it doesn't stand out should the wrong eyes be browsing your phone or tablet. That's why our design of the app would likely focus on the 'EC' logo, rather than the Empty Closets logo you see above, and we'd likely need to give the app a name such as ECCS (Empty Closets Community Services - our registered non-profit name) that only you would know.

I do appreciate that people are interested in seeing an app developed. I access EC from my phone and tablet myself, so I too would benefit from it as I'm on the go and have to check in. Unfortunately, there's just a lot of things that need piecing together before we see everything fall into place. It'll get done, but they're not the type of decisions we can make overnight, nor would anybody want them to be made that quickly in such an unprepared manner.

Martin.

7. ScatteredEarth

This should've been multiple choice. I use my computer and my phone, but I chose my computer because it's the one I majority use.

8. Siarad

I would quite like the thought that anyone who decided to look on my phone would find that they'd accidentally outed me. It would save me the awkward conversation with them and if they had a problem with it that would be helpful in telling me what I need to know about them. I can, however, see that it would not be the way forward for many people.

If there was an EC app but the website still entirely accessible, then surely people could chose how to access EC and those who would find an app convenient could benefit from it?

I would probably use an EC app if there was one available.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Laptop. Having a keyboard makes it easier to post.

10. RainbowVomiter

This site is good for when I don't wanna get out of my bed...unless I want to attach pictures to posts.

11. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Always a computer or my laptop, provided there's a wi-fi connection nearby.

12. Bear101

I use my laptop about 60% of the time, the iPad 40% of the time. I NEVER use my phone. Honestly, the idea of trying to see the whole page on a phone, doesn't excite me at all. I'm almost always have my iPad with me, so if i really need to logon, I can do it from that.

13. staychill

staychill Guest

I usually use my Ipod touch. I've used my parent's computer before, but I'm worried that I'll forget to delete the history. They are fairly conservative Christians, and I really don't want to come out to them any time soon.

14. km1306

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I use the google chrome INCOGNITO tabs... the person who came up with that idea is just genius.

15. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Use my laptop. I'd prefer to use my iPhone but the forums are really small and difficult to navigate if you do it that way. It limits how often I come on (can't just go on when I'm waiting for someone or on my break at work). Other sites use generic apps so that's maybe one way around it being easily discoverable?

16. lukeluvznicki13

I use my laptop most of the time but sometimes I pop onto my galaxy tab to answer some wall pages etc.