1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do speak to your pets?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DanA, Jul 4, 2012.

1. starfish

I've never had a dog. However during my lifetime I have been owned by a few different dogs.

I always remember that and speak to them as such :slight_smile:

2. aeva

It depends on the animal and what's going on. As a vet tech, I interact with a bunch of different animals in various states on a daily basis. I generally converse with or question my own cats, for whom I have an absurd amount of nicknames (fluffer nutter may be my favorite- I have the dopiest persian (super fluffy), who is about the color of peanut butter).

When I talk to my patients, I tend to repeat everything twice. No idea why. I only noticed this when looking at videos I took at work and since becoming conscious of it have made an effort to stop doing it quite so much. I also notice that I grit my teeth when talking to animals. Again, not sure why I do that, but I started feeling how much it made my jaw ache after I realized I was doing it. If they are nervous, my voice becomes soothing, sometimes even whispering in their ear. When a patient is excited to be there, I try to match their enthusiasm. I tend to have a set of nicknames I call my patients too (bug, bud, buddy boy, baby girl, sweetie pie, mush, goof).

Even if a client mentions that their pet is deaf, I still talk to them purely out of habit. I think it does more for us than it does for them sometimes!