1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i tell my parents im bi!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by michaelman, Aug 25, 2013.

1. michaelman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    the title kinda explains itself

2. Ohhai

Well, only you know them. There are loads of ways; in person, text, email, letter. You could do it alone, or with a supportive friend. Yoi could tell one at a time or both together.
    You could bring up a casual coversation about homosexuality to gage their reactions first.
    Do you think they'll be supportive? xx

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could give us a bit more to go on...otherwise the advice is going to be "Use your mouth and say the words 'Parents I am bisexual' to them"

Seriously though. First of all, parents attitudes to LGBT stuff, why do you want them to know and is it urgent, do they suspect and so on...any advice we can give is worth nothing if we miss something important!

4. Ohhai

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! There is really no right or wrong way to come out. It will all depend on with what you feel most comfortable. As it was mentioned, you can try talking to your parents in person, or you can also write a letter and leave it for them to read. Others have come out over e-mail as well. If you feel ready, try to find a good time to come out to them - perhaps a time when they are not too stressed or busy.

That said, do you have an idea as to how your parents will or could react? Would they be supportive, understanding?

6. michaelman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @mirko i thawt about going on facebook and message my dad saying "use these videos and ur brain to tell what sexualality i am"
    (evry once and a while he wold ask if i was gay) and one video wold be a straight person movie and the other a gay person movie
    good idea? :/

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rephrase it and maybe say a bit more about yourself rather than showing it through youtube videos. You can say remember the videos you used to show me? - as a lead into your coming out.

When he asked you whether you are gay, how did he ask you? Did you get the sense that he would be okay with it? Would he be supportive?

8. Stephany

I see you are only 14. My son came out as gay recently and he is 8. He was really straight upfront about it. He just simply said "Mom, I like boys. I don't like girls, well only as friends. But I have crushes on boys". I am bi, but have yet to come out to anyone. My husband knows, but that's about it. I plan on telling my kids first and to be honest, I am going to be as upfront to them as my son was to me and just say "I like both boys and girls, but I've committed myself to your Dad". And use that as a jumping point.
    However you choose to do it and whenever you choose to do it, good luck. Keep your head high.

9. michaelman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    well at one point my mom&dad joked saying "i gess we are going to have a son in law instead of a daughter in law" then looked at me and and sayed "wich there is nuthing wrong with that"