1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I support my depressed best friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by eminindo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. eminindo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As the title of the thread suggests, my best friend (also the love of my life BTW) is depressed. I've only found it recently, as did she. She's been pulling away from our group of friends, not replying to texts for days on end. I'm honestly worried about it, I don't want to lose her from my life. I cant pretend that I know what she's going through, but how can I show her that I'm still there for her?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What type of support your friend needs may vary a lot based on what exactly is going on. In general, I would be ready and willing to listen, but not insistent/pushy (don't force her to talk if she's not ready). Her willingness to talk and engage with people may come and go as her depression fluctuates. Also, if you know any good resources for her to connect with (a counselor at school, some place she could seek counseling with a parent's help, or even a helpful article or something you find online), feel free to share it with her. And of course, when she is feeling better and ready to engage with people again, be ready and accepting instead of holding the time apart against her.

One other thought - you mention you have feelings for this person, so another thing I would suggest is to put those aside for the moment, and focus on what she needs - not what you need (not saying you're doing this, but it can be easy to fall into this trap with relationships or people you'd like to be dating). Even if you were a couple, you couldn't be her sole source of support - it's not only not possible, it wouldn't be healthy. :slight_smile: So, be ready to contribute to a group effort.

Bootch likes this.
  3. Bootch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree with what Gravity wrote above, especially the last part. It takes a village, and whenever possible, involve someone with authority on the matter (school counselor, therapist, etc.) because they will be more objective than let's say, you, who are sort of involved in the situation. And don't forget to take care of yourself, too so you don't burn out. Self-care is important.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, don't think you can handle this on your own, and a professional counselor is a great idea. Also, you might try to learn what is triggering this depression episode, like maybe school/work/family struggles. If messages don't work, you might ask if you can visit her and spend time one-on-one maybe doing something simple as playing some games or cooking together.