1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I stop the red week, pre T?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TinyWerewolf, Feb 4, 2023.

1. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know why I decided to not make this anonymous, this Is potentially embarrassing for me... So it's currently the red week for me, it started yesterday. I've figured out a way to manage it the best I can while on it, but I want it to stop. It makes me extremely depressed, sometimes purely from the hormone fluctuations alone, strangely I'm fine enough to post about it this time. It sucks. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop it pre-t (that doesn't involve birth control with estrogen in it)?

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like any form of birth control has hormones (estrogen or progesterone) in it, though the only form of birth control it appears that doesn't have hormones in it is the copper IUD. Though I've heard that these can be painful to some people. Another suggestion, if you're comfortable with internal products, you could try cups. You can generally leave them in for 12+ hours and you don't have to see anything when you use the washroom.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-to-stop-your-period/

Mihael and TinyWerewolf like this.
  3. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I may look into this, an IUD may not be so bad. I definitely don't want any extra estrogen, but I'd maybe consider the progesterone ones. I haven't ever tried a cup though, tampons don't bother me but pads do (I know, I'm weird like that *shrugs*). I do have to figure out how I'd get it done behind my mom's back though, I'm on her insurance and she would definitely be opposed to me stopping the red week.

4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've no advice, Jack. But I just wanted to give you a virtual hug cos I know how this must be so horrible for you.

Stay strong, my brother

Beth xxx

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  5. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, Beth. Hugs do help with the dysphoria a bit at least. Thank you for the support. :slight_smile:

6. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad you posted this. I've encountered so many stories about dysphoria - the struggle with binders, breast addition or removal, lower genitalia addition or removal... But until now it had never occurred to me that many** trans men still undergo that time of the month. I can see how painful it must be - it's a visceral reminder of mind-body imbalance.

Not to mention social stigma, with some US states requiring menstrual-health reports in order for young female athletes to compete in sports.

So even if you don't find the comfort you need, thank you for educating a cis-male like me.

** or most, at least pre-menopause? Forgive my lack of information...

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  7. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pre-T I was on the progesterone-only pill for the sole reason of getting rid of shark week. I was the same in the sense that I didn't want more oestrogen in my body and the progesterone-only pill stopped it for me for a year and a half prior to starting T. I know it doesnt work for everyone but it did wonders for my dysphoria at the time so I'd definitely say its worth looking into.

TinyWerewolf and Ushiromiya Red like this.
  8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to throw in that lots of people don't tolerate birth control well or even have health problems with it, it's not uncommon at all. I think people should give it a shot, but not have high hopes to be able to take it at all... I didn't tolerate BC, but the progestin-only was a lot better. Most people feel better with the one containing estrogen. So it's good to try the other if one doesn't work. But when it comes to mood and PMS, BC feels like one big PMS for me, so it doesn't fix this problem at all. The mood fluctuations.

So idk. Maybe making this time of the cycle more comfotable is a more sure way to go. Take pain medication, use hygene products that you find comfortable and that are sufficiently absorbent (it can make you extremely self-conscious if you worry about leaking and/or have to go to the bathroom too often), relax and sleep through the bad moments.

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  9. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad I could help you understand a bit more about trans men and some nonbinary people, this is a struggle for so many of us. Testosterone (otherwise known as T or HRT for trans men/some nonbinary people) usually stops the red week as long as you take it after a while. I unfortunately am not on T yet, so the red week is still a problem for me.

That leaves me options like birth control pills, IUDs, the cups, and other products. So far pads cause me dysphoria and discomfort most so I use tampons, a lot of people are the opposite or dislike both of those. The experience and best way to manage it depends on the person.

I will say, without details, the first ever was unexpected and traumatizing to me. Hated every second of it and what it meant for me/my body. It's easier to repress and withstand now.

10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can DM me if you want to talk about periods, I struggled with them a lot and still do. I tried everything when it comes to periods and birth control. It has been insane, but it was only partly dysphoria, I unfortunately have other issues going in with periods as well.

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  11. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I'm hoping it works for me- my sister couldn't take any form of the pill whatsoever (but she was using it to fix hers, not stop it).

It may be my body/brain won't tolerate it well- I hope it does, but it may not work out. I'll be honest, my knowledge is limited.

I just wish it would stop overall, it makes me feel crappy. My mom has tried to say something along the lines of that since I get the red week I'm a woman. That makes me enraged and dejected, and if I even think about the fertility side of things too much I get anxious and nauseous. I just hate it.

I may take you up on that if it wouldn't make you dysphoric. I just want mine gone, they often make me lose my mind for a few days (or depressed for a week).

12. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem.

Having periods doesn't make you a woman. You are who you are and plenty of trans guys get their periods and it's okay.
    https://everydayfeminism.com/2014/11/trans-guys-guide-menstruation/

Wanderlost likes this.