1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you feel when you came out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, May 6, 2014.

1. LiquidSwords

It felt scary that people actually knew at last. Being in the closet is horrible but you do feel quite safe at least, but once you tell people it's sort of like a point of no return and you have to confront the idea of everyone in your life knowing and how you're going to get there.

Buut quite quickly that feeling gave way to massive relief. I felt very liberated, more comfortable with myself and my self confidence increased. I'm a way off being completely out yet but it feels more exciting than scary to come out to people now.

Overall a pleasant experience, would recommend!

2. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I felt relieved, But I was also crying and I felt like I was about pass out.

3. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out so long ago (to my friends) that I can barely remember how I felt. They sort of knew anyway (whilst others didn't) and I think I felt fine? Relieved... I'm lucky though, because I had no negative reactions...at least to my face, anyway.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never have! :icon_bigg

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first time around, fine. I was with the safety of two allies. I did feel a bit defeated when word got out to my mom who forced me into the closet.

After I was 14, I felt better about being vocal about being out. Especially destroying the closet door completely at the age of 19.

6. newfish

The first time, it took me like fifteen minutes and then I ran around the school with the friend I'd come out to release some of the tension. And then for months I wondered if I was wrong, and then I finally came out to a friend.

It wasn't a big deal at all then, just stressful. The conversation literally went like me being incoherent for like 45 seconds and then saying it and then her saying okay.

The third time was to my sister, and then I just kind of twiddled my thumbs anxiously afterward even though she said she was fine (she's the non-annoying kind of LGBT/feminist/racism social justice blogger that doesn't just look at it from a very shallow perspective. She is awesome and my favorite person ever. Just for the record)

7. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    When I told my brother, i felt nervous and relieved. When I told my friend, I freaked out and told her it was a joke

8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guilty. Always guilty. Exhausted.

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Relieved. Regretful that I hadn't done it earlier...

10. stormborn

a little frustrated because they didn't really get it. but relieved that it was a non-issue.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I dunno. Really depends on who I'm talking about.

When I came out to my friends, it was nerve wracking but huge relief when it turned out to be almost a total non-issue. Concerning my mother, it still feels like a big fucking mistake. But it had to come out if I had any hope of moving forward with a calm conscious.

I'm still not out to extended family or even most of my old friends so that depends...