1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you feel in grade school when you did not understand something?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Oct 19, 2017.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Journal entry, Oct 19 2017)
    a) What happens when you did not (do not) understand something in school? Lets say an algebra problem - x squared plus Y to the third power minus pi. Who remembers word problems – good, feel terror coursing through your veins, feel the dark side. Or lets say your 8th grade English teacher comes up to you with your essay and it has a “big red D” on it. In her Wicked Witch of the West voice, she crooks, "you need to learn how to conjugate verbs better". She sternly drops the paper on your school desk, turns her witches broom about face and speeds off.

Describe how you felt?

I will comment on the post after a few people weigh in..

2. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never understood anything except social studies because it was actually sort of interesting. from 1st to 12th grade I was just always counting down the days to the next report card and beating I was sure to get when I came home. Those walks from the bus to the house were terrible, it felt like walking to my own execution. My brothers were all B students, but me I barely got by D's and a few C's if I was lucky. My dad would give them a few dollars a piece and then he would just beat the hell out of me. I hated school.

3. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always did well in school. I was pretty lucky in that things came pretty naturally to me. I loved to learn and luckily never got too overwhelmed (even when I waited until 10 pm to start reading the novel that was due for class the next morning- note to current self- get back to work now and stop lingering on EC).

But math...ah math...that never came easy to me. I was blessed with a teacher in high school that took extra time with me, even when I was no longer in her class. She worked with me after school and even into college, helping me work through Algebra and Calculus until the problems started to make sense in my mind.

But, inevitably on test day everything we had worked on left me. I would just stare at the paper, not able to make sense of anything the problem was asking me to do. I was no longer able to sort the equation into smaller steps, it just remained one large task that was too much to take on. I would sit there feeling completely overwhelmed, staring at the blank paper and then at the clock getting more frustrated as time dwindled. Then, I would force myself to try and tackle the problem and would be unable to remember the formulas needed and when I finally thought I had an answer to the equation I could not for the life of me figure out how I arrived at that point.

When time was up- I would leave relieved that it was finally over, but disappointed in myself that once again I was beaten by math.

beenthrdonetht and Jackie Ray like this.
  4. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always felt ashamed!

5. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  6. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally heres how I felt:
    i) Anger
    ii) Confusion
    iii) Frustration
    iv) Shame

Lets see some more comments then I summarize and reflect. .

Jackie Ray likes this.
  7. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like a worthless piece of garbage that had a learning disability and got bullied so he didn't focus on learning. Instead he focused on who was going to bully him next. Someone who would throw his life away and become a failure. PTSD would rule his life and nobody would really care. Someone who would be jobless at 50 with nothing.

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you've posted a thread on this before.

For me, I was never very good at spelling. I agree that I felt ashamed because it felt that I was worse at it than my peers. So, I'd avoid being the one to keeps notes during group work, for example.

With regards to maths (and some other subjects), I think there's a perception that you're either right or wrong, so there can be fear of failure in there. I think there can be the feeling of pressure or frustration with not reaching the correct answer, which can mean deep understanding is missed.

9. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I learned how to disassociate from my emotions quite young. I didn't start learning to connect and evaluate until I started therapy, and even now I sometimes disconnect and have to be reminded by Gideon or my sister that it's important to feel even the negative feelings.

So, that said....

1) Not understanding something. A moment of confusion followed by a moment of frustration, followed by numbness to emotion, and then action (usually in the form of requesting an explanation or help).

2) A bad grade... A momentary flash of disappointment and displeasure, followed by numbness to emotion, and then problem solving thoughts (such as, how can I resolve this, how can I keep this from my father's purview, etc).

Lemongrab5 likes this.
  10. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Its Halloween season in The States. For those who do not live in The States, Halloween celebrates scary things - ghost, witches, goblins. In the desert Southwest of The States an added catch, the celebration of Dia de los Muertos, translated, the day of the dead.)

So now to the theme of the post. Good all of you respondents are feeling pain and frustrations and fear. Breath deep. A few more respondents then I'll summarize the post. Theres something hidden and refreshing in these words.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in college and I still don't understand algebra. I'd be excited to get even a D since I get nothing but straight F's on my papers. I just got my 7th F in a row yesterday.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I my take the liberty to digress a bit from the original post. Dont despair, Creativemind, you will find what makes you sing. Just because "they" are trying to push a square peg in a round hole, does not mean they will succeed.

Oh almost forgot Creativemind. How does not being able to "understand" math and other material make you feel?

#12 brainwashed, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  13. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awful. Terrible. Like a failure.