1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How could I stop hating my mother?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thexboxguy, Oct 22, 2018.

1. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi guys, yesterday my mother realized I'm gay, well in reality I'm a gay-leaning bisexual but anyway. It all started because we had an argument regarding gender equality and LGBTQ rights and believe me, we had a very strong and long argument like never before. To tell you the truth, I was practically yelling at her the whole time, actually we were yelling at each other, that even my brother was listening to everything we were saying, so I guess he already knows about it, too. In fact, everything started when she said that women should stay at home and look after the children and the man was the one who had to work to provide for his family, which upset me and that was how that argument started.

Because I'm a LGBTQ and women rights supporter and also against any form of sexism, it upset me so much I started calling her sexist, homophobic and many other names, I even told her she shouldn't've been born. To make this story short, there was a part of the argument/discussion where I stated I supported LGBTQ rights and she assumed I'm gay just for saying that, which is true. However, I gave her so many hints about my sexuality and she called me sick and crazy for supporting gay people, there was a point where she called gay people by the F word and she also said gay/lesbian couples couldn't make babies/children.

On the one hand, because she's a very religious person, she's evangelic actually, she said homosexuality was unnatural and that that was why god had created a man and woman(Adam and Eve) and not a man and another man(Adam and Adam). On the other hand, once the argument/discussion ended, she said she would always love me no matter what but I didn't care, to be honest, I wish she were dead and I know she might never accept me.

So what do you guys think?

How can I get rid of this anger/grudge against her?

Don't you think her mindset is sexist for her to be a woman?

Even though it happened yesterday, I'm still upset and overthinking and a bit concerned about what my future/life will be like.

I'm sorry guys if my english/or grammar isn't as good as you expected, it's my second language and it'd be great if you let me know how bad or good it is and whether you understand what I'm saying.

thanks in advance and have a good night.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well first off, your English is pretty solid. I had no problems understanding anything you wrote.

Given that I am not entirely familiar with Mexican culture, I am not sure if I can offer much help. However knowing some Evangelic people I am going to point you to your mother's religious upbringing as for her beliefs in that women should stay at home and med should be the sole money makers.
    Catholics and Evangelicals hold onto the older parts of the bible more so than other groups. Back in the days when Jesus walked the earth women were property, not even second class or slaves. A women's only role back in the old days was to give birth to as many children as possible, feed them and clean up after them. So your mother is just holding on to really old beliefs but most standards, though there are still many places that still firmly believe in this.

She simply does not know that there are other ways for a healthy happy home to be successful. And she might not ever accept other ways no matter how hard you try and show her. But she could turn around about the idea as time passes on.

Its hard sometimes, but with family it is sometimes better to just let them rant and rave while you do your own thing.

thexboxguy likes this.