1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i think i might be lesbian when ive never even kissed a girl?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bluedoc, Apr 18, 2012.

1. bluedoc

I'm 18 and at uni
    I've had one boyfriend and been attracted to a few guys, but i rarely find someone i actually like
    but recently since i talked to my ex about bisexuality I've been thinking about girls more and more, noticing them, dreaming about them
    its like i've opened a pandoras box in my mind

ive never let myself get close to friends who are girls, i could never explain why, i was scared of it almost, ive always been 'one of the lads' and to be honest i can get nervous round girls, but ive always dismissed that as being socially awkward
    ive always been over defensive about people saying im gay - im on a football team so i get it a lot
    ive never let myself even think about it before now. id get a crush on a girl and just say to myself its admiration or that i want to be like her, being at a christian school didnt help matters
    the more i think about it the more i can see why girls are so much better than guys
    but aside from a dare ive never kissed a girl or let myself develop any feelings for one
    i mean 5 months ago i was in a happy heterosexual relationship
    how can i suddenly be bi or lesbian?
    what should i do? i need to find out and i want to tell people but what on earth would i tell them

2. Hot Pink

I've never kissed a girl either, but I know that I'm gay. Sometimes you just know or something just clicks in your head and you realize it.

3. Curly

I've never kissed a girl either. 3 months ago when I came out to my friends, I was pretty sure I am gay. Afterwards, letting myself really notice how I felt inside and not what people around me were telling me, I came to realize how very gay I am.

For some people its like a sudden realization, the "holy cow I am gay, it all makes sense now! yay!". But for a lot of people (like me) it was more of a "could I be? Maybe I am? No, I can't be? How is it possible? I don't want to be." And these questions go round and round in your head for a Lonnnnngggggg time. Its normal, and lots of people here have echoed similar stories.

In terms of not being comfortable around girls and being afraid of looking at girls. I did the same thing, and I wasn't even aware of doing it. I just knew then that it was somehow very wrong to feel attracted to girls, so I made myself not look at them or place myself in situations that would make me attracted. lol .. I said the same thing here when I came out. It really is like opening a pandora's box. All the feelings that have been supressed for so long come bursting through. I found my self realizing how many girls are in the world.

Give yourself time, open yourself to the possibilities and maybe you'll figure it out. And why don't you maybe go kiss a girl (if that option is availiable).

Btw, you can't suddenly be a lesbian/gay/bi. but you can suddenly realize that you are lesbian/gay/bi. And in terms of telling people... maybe the phrase "I'm not straight" could serve your purpose.

4. MeAndAyla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Did you kiss a boy to realize "oh hey, I'm straight"? Probably not. You don't have to kiss a girl to realize that you might be gay. It might help you a little though so you know for sure, if you kiss a girl and are really excited/happy/turned on. But that could come from it just being a new experience. I would not go kiss a girl just to kiss a girl. You aren't attracted to people just because you like kissing them, you like everything else about them too. I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't need to kiss a girl to know if you are lesbian or not, so don't just kiss one to kiss one. :slight_smile:

5. Sayu

I've never kissed a girl too (I mean a french kiss), but I know I'm not straight, because I would really love to kiss a girl :slight_smile:

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As everyone else has said straight people not need to kiss someone of the opposite sex to know they are straight, so gay people dont need to kiss someone of the same sex to know they are gay. That being said it is a common concern with people who are coming to term with their sexuality or questioning their sexuality so try not to worry to much.

7. bluedoc

thanks this has actually really helped
    think i just need to accept that its fine to not be straight and its fine to now know what i want yet

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly, its a difficult thing to accept but everyone on EC is here to help if we can.

9. CrystalDecanter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I have enough information to know that I'm not purely straight, so for the time being I'm using "queer" to describe my orientation. Margaret Cho does it, so it must be ok. :wink:

10. bluedoc

for anyone interested i know im gay now

also kissed a girl for the first time last night but i knew i was gay a good 3 days before

i think sometimes things only happen when you fully accept yourself :slight_smile:

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats awesome, congratulations.