1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I achieve an androgynous look?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LittleBlackStar, Mar 14, 2014.

1. LittleBlackStar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, I'm 14 years old in my first year of high school and I'm MTF. As of now I feel like I have a pretty masculine appearance. I was just wondering if there are things I can do to appear more feminine or androgynous. What types of clothes should I wear? Any makeup? What can I do with my hair? My hair, by the way, is a little past my shoulders in the back but just to my nose in the front. Should I moisturize? Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated thank you sooo much!!!! I did ask this on another forum in case anyone recognizes this. I did not copy and paste it though. I'm just kinda desperate at the moment. Thank you anyway though!

2. TheUglyBarnacle

Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:
    I'm a masculine person so makeup and all that stuff are not really my expertise but I hope I can help you a bit.
    First of all, how far are willing to go regarding appearing more feminine? Would you like to pass (be gendered female by strangers) or would you just like to be androgynous?

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start small and work your way there. I absolutely guarantee that if you go one day as you are now, then turn up the next day going for 'androgynous' you are going to be noticed and it probably won't end well.

Personally, I would start with your nails. Grow them longer, keep them clean and nicely shaped, maybe clear polish or something so it doesn't really show.

After that, just slowly switch out one item of clothing for something less gendered.

Incidentally, it would be really helpful if you could tell us (or better yet SHOW us) what you look like now so we can target specific things :slight_smile:

4. LittleBlackStar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well I’d really love for strangers to think I’m a girl but I can’t do that right away unfortunately so androgynous would be the way to go.

5. notaprincess06

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a biological female who is non-binary, not transsexual but more male than female, so my look is everything but feminine although I have rather large breasts and all the bio bits associated with women. Personally, I think that femininity and masculinity have a lot to do with attitude and the way you carry yourself in general. For ex, I lack the testosterone and you can certainly tell that in my facial features and body but I get taken for a boy(not a man but definitely a highschool boy) often when I'm not wearing only a t-shirt. It's not so much my features, a good look will make anyone think I am a woman, I think it's a lot about the attitude and how I feel myself, it's like masculinity come out on my features through the way I carry myself.

So I think that perhaps that is also something that could help you tone down what you say is a pretty masculine physical look. For ex, I noticed that men tend to sit more sprawled out on a chair, legs more spread out, while women do the opposite. These are culturally acquired stuff most of the time but they happen. Try to have a more ...gentle, dainty (but not overly so) way of interacting with the world and generally let your feminine side shine through.

If you're very hairy you could shave although you might not want to shave your arms and legs as long as you don't want to pass right now, better not to ask for trouble. If your face has dark stubble(are you taking hormones?) then maybe a close shave and very sensible make up to help cover the signs of stubble would also work.
    Not bulking up would also help.