1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Are Bible Readings Supposed To Be Taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jun 10, 2014.

?

Do You Think Most Christians/Catholics Know What The Bible States?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2014.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    97.2%
  1. Ridiculous

The reason there are so many different denominations is pretty much exactly for this reason - they can't decide cohesively who to condemn :lol:. Doesn't make a very good case for the divine and unquestionably nature of religion if they individually determine what is correct and what is a "mistake" or "mistranslation", or "isn't supposed to be taken literally" (my favourite excuse).

2. biggayguy

People know their favorite passages of the bible but tend to ignore the rest. Much of the bible was written to a specific audience at a certain time. I don't believe that it directly applies to every situation of your life. Some things are literal and some are figurative.

3. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yes, I feel we can't have any law based off something we 1. Don't understand 2. Religion. Hi constitution.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the thing is my parents wanted me to enter the ministry, never felt the call myself. the thing i have discovered and found it best articulated by " a letter to louise" found on the pflag website is that the Bible does not say what it means, it says what it says. this means that we give our own meaning to the words and forget that none of the writers of the Bible were speaking to us, they believed that, in the case of the New Testament, the second coming was not long to come and in the case of the Old Testament, the writers couldn't imagine our world nor that the world would continue for this long. they were talking to the people of their time and their world.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, sorry I couldn't help. I thought I explained it pretty clearly.

6. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

^ No you explained your view clearly but I just can't use that one. I mean, where is the original translation? Who's to say then that God doesn't like homosexuality for sure if the bible we read today is apparently flawed?

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nuns are scary

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Research the Hebrew if you are interested. The Dead Sea Scrolls were found. It isn't "flawed"(the words are misinterpreted), it's like when you learn any language. There are words in Hebrew that do not translate directly to English and vice versa. Why would 10 of 12 men(disciples) get tortured and die for a lie? Their deaths are documented through secondary history sources.

#28 QueerTransEnby, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  9. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Forget I said "flawed" then, just worded incorrectly. Who's to say that God condemned homosexuality then as 100%? What if that was worded incorrectly? Or translated incorrectly rather.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't researched the Hebrew in the Old Testament. I know in the New Testament when it is mentioned it is actually referring to male prostitution and pedophilia based on the Greek words. I would like to research it more on my own with several sources. I am not up at the old college library a lot.

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2014 at 09:45 PM ----------

So, if you take a philosophy class freshman or sophomore year, you can research this topic and use it as a proposal for a paper. :slight_smile: Your databases are your friends. :slight_smile:

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    partial quote

Unless you happen to live in northern Kentucky, in which case people will send you millions of dollars for a place where you can say all science is wrong and every word of the Bible is totally accurate.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/things-i-learned-at-the-creation-museum

12. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Science is wrong? Ha. Wish I was super fluent in science. I only get what I believe are the basics

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

14. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I am not religious, but I respect religions that are set for peace. Most people warp the bible to form to their own twisted ways - then again, it has some terrifying and horrible shit in there. It should only have one sentence. "Be a nice person with good intentions or else."

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, now there's a kinky part!

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a former Southern Baptist turned Atheist, I probably know more about the bible than a lot of Christians out there.

17. awesomeness

The Bible (like all other religious books) is nothing but a fictional text with a huge, and sometimes crazy, fanbase.

I feel sorry for the people who've been brainwashed from a young age by their family to actually believe in this shit, or even take it seriously.

18. Aquilo

If I were Christian and if I would read the bible literally:

I'd disregard the entire Old Testament, because Jesus 'died for our sins' and created a new pact between the Christian god and Christians. The Old God was an evil and jealous piece of work (read the OT to see why). The New God as explained by Jesus was merciful and preaches peace and harmony and forgiving others.

Then there's still some parts in the New Testament, which condemn homosexuality, but those parts are from letters from one of the apostles, not Jesus's's words, so those can be disregarded too.

19. Hexagon

It depends on the intentions of the people who wrote it. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, since the appear to have been sick bastards), they're all dead, so we'll never know.

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All reading and interpretation of the Bible should be taken with a massive pillar of salt...