1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How (and how often) do you/did you experience dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Irisviel, Jan 12, 2016.

1. The 0156

Out Status:
    A few people
    - what tends to trigger dysphoria for you?

:lol: lol being in a room with other humans (i don't know wether I'm supposed to use other or the sometimes :lol: ok that wasn't funny)

- do you experience it all the time? If not, do you feel comfortable in your assigned at birth gender once in a while?

I'm only comfortable with I say with not in because I never feel comfortable in male roles in any situation but when I forget about it for a while some times I'm not bothered by it.
    -quote by- Person who has no idea wtf they are saying

What is more severe/easier to trigger social or body dysphoria? Both? Which of the two bothers you most?

Both because for me they aren't really separate issues all the time, I don't know wether I just don't pay attention to it or what but yeah I really have no idea what I am saying sometimes.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - what tends to trigger dysphoria for you?

Socially, simply hearing female designated pronouns can set it off--even it's not pointed at me. I remember this one day I was on a coffee run and heading towards the other side of the counter to get my order, and a barista was talking to the person who was behind me. They said "she" and thought they were talking about me, and it wrecked me for a good part of the day.

Physically, it's generally not as violently upsetting as it used to be. Sometimes the fat on the sides of my chest makes me uncomfortable deeply, and my voice will just make me cringe and want to stay silent because I feel like I sound like a 12 year old. Other times I just completely disconnect or dissociate when I see myself, because I don't recognize my body as being mine. It's like I'm watching a movie behind my eyes, and it's quite off putting to say the least.

- do you experience it all the time? If not, do you feel comfortable in your assigned at birth gender once in a while?

I don't experience dysphoria too much these days. If I do, it's socially over being read the wrong way or it's physically with my voice. Most of the time, I forget I'm trans and barely notice or pay attention to myself. But that's not to say I'm comfortable with being AFAB.

- what is more severe/easier to trigger, social, or body dysphoria? Both? Which of the two bothers you most?

Eh, they kind of go hand in hand. I think it's more of the financial issues that come with transitioning that will turn me into a mess faster than my voice feeling like it's not dropping or getting called "miss" when I'm out. Just the deep, aching feel of knowing it will be years before I can take my shirt off on the beach, or order a drink when I'm out on a date with confidence when I get carded. Just knowing that (in the most extreme way possible) I may be eligible to run for President before I can afford bottom surgery is what hurts the most.

3. Irisviel

Thank you all for the responses so far. As much as it is something negative, all that comes under the umbrella term "dysphoria"... it is interesting to see how we differ and yet how similar our conclusions are. And all the ways we are alike, both amab and afab.

Thing that might be interesting for many speakers - in my language (Polish), any verb that doesn't descrine more or less present tense statements (like, I walk/am walking to the cinema) is gendered. So whenever I even think, I misgender myself and it tends to annoy me - because to me any sentence besides present tense statements goes like this: I [went-masculine] to the cinema, or, I [would-like-masculine] some more ice cream. A problem that is a bit amusing... but also triggering as I'm used to using masculine endings of words, and to pass even to my own thoughts I need to force my brain to switch to feminine vocabulary.

English speakers are lucky :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Pronouns are the only worry in language :grin: