1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Homophobic" friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Randomcloud, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Randomcloud

Before I even accepted that I was gay, I befriended a group of people in my class who I am friends with to this day. Nearly all of them are Christians which is fine, but they also voted for the Conservative party in our federal election and when I asked them why, among other reasons they said "well he supports family values, won't let gay marriage happen, etc". So obviously they don't think homosexuality is "normal" or something but the thing is, they're really sweet, fun and nice people to hang out with. Religious and political views aside, I've formed a good friendship with them

Which brings me to my current situation: I'm tired of hiding who I am but I don't want to lose these friendships I value. And I'm anxious that if I come out to them, they'll treat me differently or at least it will change the dynamic of our friendship :S Anyone been in this situation? What did you do?

2. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you have a good relationship with them. whether you come out to them, it's your decision. It could either change their opinions about it or stay the same and remain indifferent. Are you 100 percent sure about what their stances are about LGBT community in general? try asking them what they think about it?

i've been in that situation before. someone told me that they didn't agree with the "gay lifestyle" after known them for quite a while. my mind just switched to red flag when i heard that and told myself to avoid them. best decision i've made.

As much as you can hold onto that nostalgia, if they really do not agree with a stance like that, it could be toxic for you, especially if you want to be in the process of coming out. it's hard to let go sometimes and I can understand that anxiety just as much as everyone else in this site, but you have to think ahead and do what's best for you. You don't want to be the gal in the near future, facing constant discrimination everyday. take the chance to think about it. there's always other people that would be able to support you and be there for you just as your friends have right now. it might not seem like it doesn't affect you as much but it does.

3. Hyaline

I too have been in this situation. I fought it a different way.... In my case it was with my offroading club. Generally a very macho male machismo type group. I ended up becoming part of the staff as an opportunity to get to know people and to give them the opportunity to know me. After being part of the group for many years, it slowly snuck out that I was gay. It wasn't that it was a secret, I just didn't discuss it. And while the gay jokes certainly stopped (some of that stuff is funny, and I have thicker skin than that), they treat me like on of the guys. Which is what I always wanted... But this group is in California, in a more liberal area. And I am very lucky to have such unique people.

So like Bolt said, feel them out. Make sure there isn't just a vocal minority and odds are some people can think for themselves and won't care one lick about gay marriage... Though typically in the more conservative groups, that is less likely to happen...

4. Randomcloud

I'll try to ask them some subtle questions to find more about their stance. I'm kind of hopeful that they'll live and let live since some people in our group including me are agnostic/atheist and that doesn't affect our friendship or make them any less inclusive.

5. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Heh, that's tough. You can either come out and they will most likely treat you different or just stop hanging out with you. Or maybe, your friendship might mean something to them and they may change their views overtime.

Or

You look to make friends who are less bigoted. Personally, I never really became good friends with the people in my 'circle' who were like that. They were always acquaintances, even before I knew what I really was. I just don't like closed minded & small people.

6. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I posted a thread awhile ago about my homophobic best friend, he's been my friend since we're little kids, so in my opinion your situation is a slight bit different, because it is a group of highly religious people. My friend is homophobic, but he's not religious. He had no choice but to accept me.

I noticed you're 20, so how long have you known them? My family on my mothers side is homophobic, and they're very religious. If I were to come out to them, they would not accept me and they've known me 22 years. They would judge me, read me the bible, and tell me how wrong I am. It might happen with your new friends who you just met. Be ready for anything, some people won't change unless they truly do LOVE you.

Just get new friends, there has to be tons of people in your college who are open minded and loving.

7. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not sure I can be friends with homophobic people anymore, no matter how well we get along in other ways. I'm going though a bit of a personal struggle with this myself, at present. Despite my aching loneliness and wish for more human companionship. :frowning2:

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you come out and you let the chips fall where they may. Don't assume people who you think are your friends won't be. People are surprising. I'm from Utah and my family and childhood friends are very Mormon. My partner is from Oklahoma and his people are very southern Baptist. Neither of us have really had any issues. Assume the best of people and sometimes people rise to your expectations.

9. Randomcloud

I usually don't befriend homophobes if I know they're homophobes but the thing is, it's not something I ask when I meet people and I kind of just fell into this group- I only knew their views on LGBT marriage rights recently :S

I've known them since I started college (so when I was 17). Yeah, that's what I'm worried about- it's certainly not 22 years. They never push their religious beliefs on me knowing I'm an atheist which is why I'm just hoping it will be the same in this case. I'm conflicted haha...it would be nice to know that there are other people on my campus I can just turn to if their response /was/ bad but I don't know anyone. It's a tiny campus :S

OGS- that's certainly reassuring! It's getting exhausting hiding who I am from people I see so often (not that my sexuality defines me but still)

10. mangotree

Not exactly the same but I'm out to 2 christian, 3 mormon and 1 JW friend(s) at work.
    They got to know me for a while before I came out and (don't mean to toot my own horn but) getting to know how awesome and "normal" I am before finding out about that part of my life made them a lot more accepting and I guess it made it harder for them to hate me for it.
    They were also extremely supportive and helpful during a rough breakup that I went through at one stage. Great people to have around.

So, I suppose what I'm saying is that even some of the most religious/conservative people can have big hearts and the ability to see a fellow human being in front of them regardless of what they've been brought up to "believe".
    Being religious definitely doesn't automatically make a person a homophobe/bigot etc... regardless of what they might have voiced within the ignorant bubble of not knowing "who" was listening. They might only feel and talk that way because they've never actually met or known an awesome/amazing gay person (like yourself).
    If they're generally nice, beautiful people (and it sounds like they are), it sounds fairly likely that they won't judge you for your orientation. They might even think it's something interesting and and special about you.

Saying that, I do live in an area of Australia where religious people are kind of a minority as well. Thought I'd better add that, just in case.

Peace! (*hug*)

11. AAASAS

Unfortunately one of the downfalls of being gay is because of this. I've lost a couple friends because I knew they wouldn't be cool with it. It sucks but when your gay if you want healthy happy relationships you need to avoid people like this.

12. Really

It's also possible that they voted that way because their parents did. I'm sure many kids simply vote the same as their parents the first few times. I know I did and I can't be the only one.
    Is there an LGBT club/society on campus? Maybe peruse the list of societies with them as a cover to get opinions about interesting ones and see if you can get more insight into their true feelings. Maybe one or more will be revealed as not actually homophobic and you could start with them?
    (You could also visit the LGBT club to widen your circle of friends.)

13. Randomcloud

That's the problem sadly the only clubs on my campus are religious/sports-related. I don't even /know/ anyone from the LGBT community and there just don't seem to be any support groups out there, it all gays bars and big parties (not really my scene you know)

14. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, get ready for anything. It will either be two things: They won't be your friends anymore, or they won't judge you. In my case none of my friends are religious, so I didn't have this problem and all of them have been completely supportive. Just wish for the best, but personally I'm not sure I can be friends with someone who is homophobic. If you come out and they are still talking in a homophobic way, then perhaps rethink twice your relationship with them.