1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homophobia and demography USA

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mattloveshugs92, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mattloveshugs92

hi i am curious on demographics and homophobia/trasnphobia or fear of other LGBT persons.
    i want to see where the homophobia is most in the nation i do not want any sources other than praimary people so here it goes
    these are some what personal

1) area/state region or part of the united states
    2) predominant ethnic group/s, and languages near by
    3) predominant religious/spiritual denomination or affiliation
    4) specific places or areas/districts where homophobia is most common for you and the 3 above for that/those areas.

i am asking this not to be offensive in any way but i really want a clear idea where homophobia is most prevalent in our nation of the unite states, with out media sources but actual people.

take care :grin: thanks :slight_smile:)))

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure what you're asking for. Do you want my personal experience. Is this for a study that you're doing?

3. mattloveshugs92

i am doing this to see what areas are most affected than then see if i can organize people to help people in those areas via networking. i would love to hear your expierences :grin: thank you :slight_smile:

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um, okay. I live in Montana, which is a conservative state inhabited by mostly white Protestants. The official language is English, and the legislature is stone cold fuck nuts.

While I'm not afraid for my life, I don't feel safe to be out to just anyone. There is a gay scene here, but it's pretty small. I'd say it's moderately homophobic, but most of that is political. I am not aware of any well-publicized anti-queer violence. There is still a lot of harassment of queer students in public school.

5. Dan82

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Here's a visual version of those numbers...basically the Northeast and West Coast are the most LGBTQ-friendly regions of the country.

Obviously, it's a bit deeper than that...generally urban areas are much more open and accepting than rural areas, e.g. Chicago, Illinois has less homophobia than parts of rural California, even though CA has more support statewide. States like Pennsylvania and Colorado are very polarized between the progressive urban areas and extremely conservative rural areas.

Support for marriage equality by state:
    [​IMG]

7. mattloveshugs92

yeah polotical leaders can such, and school homophobia i know people that beat up homophobes for herassing them though my area has little homophobia, i am on the east coast. we are about to get clobberd with sandy. i hope you will be ok and safe. and i want to visit my tribe on rez in south dakota, but i am affraid how dangerous i hear it is out there. i hope you will be safe. at least it isnt as much of the people.

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2012 at 08:49 PM ----------

thank you. what doo you think people have against homosexuals and lgbt people? i think religion is a scape goat, but what do you think it is

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2012 at 08:50 PM ----------

it looks like we are on a good trend

8. Gerit

I live in north-central Kansas, right next to Nebraska. AKA my personal hell. Everyone is overly religious, to the point where it's taught in the public schools around here. Wikipedia says that my county is "98.79 white, with 0.34% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.03% Black or African American, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.05% from other races, and 0.71% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.71% of the population."

In the school in this county, there are no openly gay students. None. And to my knowledge, there have not been any openly gay students that have ever attended my school. The teachers are even openly against homosexuality. Also, since my community is mainly farming and agriculturally based, there isn't much tolerance of gay people and there is very blatant discrimination, prejudice, and ostracism.

9. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

As much as religion is usually the catalyst for homophobia (and every other human evil), I think we just have to accept that some people are just wired to hate others.

Studies like this are only estimation, and not accurate. I think you get more honest answers regarding how people feel about homosexuals online (like when you read comments on gay youtube videos), because it is anonymous.

Kansas is known as a 'fly over' state right?

10. mattloveshugs92

dude that sucks i am sorry. my pastors dislike christian behavior like that, with the hatred, and the school, here in mass if they said anything like that they would be fired, and i would be screaming my head off at them. will you ever be able to leave your area?