1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school math class

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XxToshixX, Mar 8, 2011.

1. lostinthought9

I definitely know how you feel. I struggled with high school math, and I somehow passed it! However, when I got to college, I made straight A's in all my math classes. Go figure.

Like many have already said, it depends a lot on your teacher and how much effort you put into the subject. If you feel like you need additional help, don't hesitate to ask! Most schools will offer some type of tutoring service. If you have any friends that are good at this subject, then maybe you could ask them for help? Even talking to the teacher concerning your grade will help you, since that will show that you care, and he/she will be more willing to work with you.

Anyways, good luck, and again, don't hesitate to ask for help! :slight_smile:

2. Lychee

You find it hard to visualise the maths?
    Simple solution: Don't even try to visualise it.
    Seriously, it's literally impossible to visualise imaginary numbers on a regular number line, as well as objects that are in 4+ dimensions. The key is just to understand the theorems, and practise applying them in different situations many times.

... And to all those who are like "maths is useless, why do we learn it?" Seriously, how many adults use even basic history in their day to day lives? And yet, we still study history. And compare that to the number of people who use basic maths in their lives... Clearly, it's more useful than you think.

3. Flyers2011

I've always had issues with math. But it's only certain types of math, so it's kinda weird.

I suggest having a friend or your teacher explain it to you in a different way. Sometimes having it explained in a different will make more sense.

Look up stuff online too. It helps.

If your school has tutoring, look into that too. You have to work harder since you don't understand, and it sucks, but it's whatcha have to do.

4. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I love my math class this year, but that's just because the teacher and my classmates are hilarious. The subject matter, not so much.

5. hert3583

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I concur with most of what has been said above, or at least the useful things:

Consider that "Maths is not a spectator sport".

You have to do Maths to know what Maths is and to really understand it, so although it's going to be tough, that's exactly what you need to do - lots and lots of maths, practice questions etc. If you are finding it impossible, a tutor might not go amiss. Start at the basic stuff and work your way up, don't jump in at the deep end.

6. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You may not use factorials, but say you're doing your taxes, or handling money, buying a house (basically anything involving money).

Heck, I'd even argue that the time signature in music has some math to it, counting beats and assigning different beats to different notes. Even the names of the notes have fractions in them that correspond to their length in relation to other notes. It's simple math, but it's still math

You could pull out single things from any school subject and call it useless, doesn't mean the subject as a whole is useless

(And yes, I do find math easy :dry: Numbers make sense to me)

#26 Neoh, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. Artemicion

Math is so hard...well when I was studying in it. But looking back high school math seems easy. I guess I have an incubation period over these things like computer science :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

But ya...visualizing math...had to do that...because afterall I was studying math for computer graphics...HA...matrices...my god.

8. zeratul

zeratul Guest

They key to doing well in math class is a lot of creativity.

Getting from the start of a problem to its solution is like saying "hey, what if I manipulate this term or expression this way, what would i get?" And then you try it out, it may work or it may not work.

But notice here that that you gotta know what are valid ways to manipulate equations and what are not valid ways. Memorize theorems as they are the basic toolbox, like paintbrushes and colors, and the rest is your creativity and dedication, just like an art painting.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, so many things we use, all around us, operate using math. If we didn't have math none of it would exist. You wouldn't have this computer.... the universe and world function on mathematical formulas... :grin: High school is supposed to give you a general education in everything... why do they teach english? Not everyone uses it. Same with history and science.... They shouldn't teach anything!! We should all not go to school and be dumb and let our country slip into poverty. Some people MAYBE want to do a career that needs math... in fact, most careers use it. You need at least some basic math knowledge. Math also helps improve your critical thinking and logic which applies to everywhere in the real world... why do you think bigots are mostly uneducated? But, they need to teach math because some people will go into math related fields, just like all other courses in high school. In college you get to pick, for the most part, which path you choose. Hardly any people in high school know exactly what they want to do, and to force them to pick that early would be way worse.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use maths all the time! Confessions of an uber-nerd...

a few friends of mine from high school and i often used to play a couple of games we invented. One is called "square that number". the other is called "square root that number"... we still play sometimes =P