1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here is a list I made of anime that deals with LGBT themes.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kibou97, May 6, 2018.

1. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So starting around last October, I started creating a list of anime that features LGBT themes for my schools GSA since a lot of other people in the LGBT community also enjoy anime. The full list also features games, comics/manga, and other media as well but I can't link it unless I want to be banned because it would also link to one of my google accounts so if anyone is interested in also seeing the lists for other forms of media, let me know and I'll copy the rest of the list into another thread.

Anime:
    -Wandering Son
    -Psycho-Pass
    -Kiznaiver
    -Steins;Gate
    -Steins;Gate 0
    -Yuri! On Ice
    -Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers
    -Sailor Moon
    -Whispering Words
    -Cardcaptor Sakura
    -Paradise Kiss
    -Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
    -Revolutionary Girl Utena
    -No. 6
    -Neon Genesis Evangelion
    -Doukyuusei
    -Attack On Titan
    -Hunter X Hunter
    -Soul Eater
    -Simoun
    -Kino’s Journey
    -Mahou Shoujo Site

2. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A couple lesbian ones I enjoyed are Yuri Kuma Arashi, Konohana Kitan, Asagao to Kase-san, and Sakura Trick. Pretty cute and well made shows with lesbian themes, although YKA gets kinda trippy. Yuru Yuri is good if you like comedy.

What other types of activities do you do for GSA?

3. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My GSA has 5 "officers" (basically leaders with different roles) and each of us have to plan a few of the meetings each year as well as do some side stuff. One of the side things I did was make this list. As a whole, we try to have some entertainment meetings as well as some educational meetings (stuff like how to do drag or LGBT history). I was mainly in charge of some of the entertainment ones so for one of my meetings we watched the movie Hurricane Bianca, we watched a documentary called The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson, and then we had a game night where I brought in what game systems I have with me and we just played games for a few hours. I did want to do an Anime meeting but we ran out of time so maybe next semester since I'll be an officer for next semester too.

4. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too bad it were just very slight hints and nothing else. I love that anime.

5. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's so awesome! I love the Marsha P Johnson documentary, I'm happy people are becoming more aware of her importance <3

6. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, It was a really interesting story and I think is actually more important in LGBT history than most people would think.

7. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah unfortunately the efforts of trans people and trans poc seem to be consistently erased from the mainstream gay history books :/ that crappy Stonewall film from a couple years ago definitely didn't help

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you watched all of the anime on your list?

Akuma no Riddle, Ga-Rei: Zero, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku have lesbians or super close friendships between females

I will explain a little:

"Akuma no Riddle" is quite bland or at least the story is super predictable. Basically a bunch of assassin girls are ordered to kill one girl but one of the assassins decides to guard the target. The main reason I remember it is because the characters are more crazy than a website full of narcissists pretending to be sociopaths

"Ga-Rei: Zero" has a decent story. So there are two girls & they slay monsters. It's awesome that they are both warriors. You might need yuri goggles. I think they love each other in a platonic way. Also the show doesn't really warm up until the second episode

"Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica" is one of the most twisted anime ever. Again you might require yuri goggles. I could say sooooo much about this show, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it

"Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku" has lots of death & tragedy. Of course the biggest tragedy of all is the wasted potential. Sometimes you'll think you're watching a comedy. Two of the magical girls are low-key lovers. Plus some fans think La Pucelle is a trans girl who gets her wish. Personally I thought La Pucelle wanted powers to fight for justice & transforming into a magical girl was just part of the deal

If I recall more anime, then I'll add them another time

9. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen the vast majority of these but my friends did add a few I haven't seen but have looked into. I've been meaning to spend more time on Akuma no Riddle but I've only managed to read the first volume of the manga. I've actually never heard of Ga-Rei but i'll have to look into it. I'm really hesitant to put Madoka Magica on here because the specific relationship I think you're talking about may not be actual love in that sense and becomes incredibly vague, especially given the rebellion movie. I've been meaning to watch Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Seikaku because quite frankly, I love dark stuff like that. If you liked that and Madoka, you should totally check out Mahou Shoujo site although it's not done airing yet if you prefer to watch anime after full release. I don't think the plot is deep per se, at least not compared to Madoka, but it's a really interesting show. Also you're more than welcome to give more suggestions!

#9 kibou97, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cowboy Bebop - three characters of uncertain gender
    Samurai Champloo - there is an episode about a gay man
    Cyber City Oedo 404 - a Bowie-like person
    Hakata Tankotsu Ramens - a crossdressing character
    Citrus - about a lesbian couple
    Jormungand - two girls have a relationship, side theme
    Kakegurui - not the main theme, and I'm not sure if not fan service for straight boys but happens
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
    Rose of the Versailles

that's all I can come up with now.

11. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally don't get the Attack on Titan LGBT references. Sorry that wasn't a helpful post, but I really don't get it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Akame ga Kill! included a gay guy, apparently.

Plus I watched a few episodes of Mahou Shoujo Site. You can tell from the first episode that it's dark! It's easily as dark as say Ousama Game, except MSS doesn't suck. I will definitely finish this one.

13. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace. Crossdressing.

14. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ousama Game reminds me of junk food, while it wasn't necessarily good, it's fun to partake in from time-to-time.
    I forgot about Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace. It wasn't the greatest show in the world but it was still pretty decent.

#14 kibou97, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  15. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maidsama also has crossdressing/gender bending... Misaki dresses as a boy in at least one episode and the little cousin Aoi (a boy) it's a Kawaii Idol online... ♥ what's really great about Aoi's story is it very clearly outlines the concept of gender-non-conformance (in the cousin) without it having to be able full on transgender experience without reducing it to a sexual fetish. He also appears to be BI (he has a crush on the leading man) which is awesome too ♥