1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helpful advice on uncertainty from my therapist

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by VeetotheX, Oct 22, 2019.

1. VeetotheX

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So one thing that I struggle a lot with concerning my gender identity is uncertainty. I have a lot of doubt regarding whether or not I want/need to transition, which causes me a lot of anxiety. I voiced this to my therapist, and she provided some interesting advice: "Instead of thinking about what you are uncertain of, try and think about what you ARE certain of, and that might help you take steps to make a decision regarding transition"

For me, this was helpful advice. Some things I can acknowledge are that I am confident in my desire to present femininely. Regardless of what my gender identity is, I know I like to wear feminine clothes, makeup, etc.

I can also recognize that I experience dysphoria, in the form of discomfort with my male characteristics, mostly body hair, facial hair, lack of breasts, etc. (Though I still have uncertainty about whether or not it's 'bad enough' to warrant transition, I can still recognize that it's there.)

This was really helpful advice for me, so I thought that I would share it with y'all. :smile:

GhostCake and Hawk like this.