1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed about letting someone back in - sort of urgent

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tightrope, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A college friend of mine recently contacted me to check if I still had the same e-mail. We were in contact last over 10 years ago. He had just gotten divorced and we were both in a bad place. I was struggling with an overly stressful work situation. We sort of fell out of contact. I wasn't mad. I needed space at that time. I think he was a little mad.

I've contacted people from my past but we had parted ways because of school or work or location changes. I don't know if this contact is because he had seen my whereabouts through media accounts and I was "close enough." His tone was really formal and all business. It sounded like he had a prepared message he'd be following up with. I'm a little bit uncomfortable with what he might be up to or want. Maybe I'm a little paranoid and looking at the worst in people. If you've experienced something like this, let me know your thoughts and how you handled it.

74andHome likes this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tightrope.....Unless there is some really serious reason to turn him down, why not give him a chance? If things start to look uncomfortable it won't be hard to just say thanks but I'm not really interested in getting together again. Who knows...this may be a great experience! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

74andHome and Tightrope like this.
  3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has happened to me a few times. And usually, it seems to fall into one of two categories:

1) We write back and forth a few times. How's family, work, life in general, that sort of stuff. Maybe meet once or twice for dinner in a neutral place. Friendly enough and interesting to spend a few hangout moments... and then we kind of drift apart for a while. In fact, with some people I'm on cycle two or three of this pattern, and while I have given up on ever becoming close friends with them, it is nice to have a sort of ongoing "close acquaintance" relationship with them.

2) In a very few cases, it turns out we actually DO have a lot in common. Be that an experience we had since parting ways or a suddenly rekindled passion for boardgaming. I won't say any of those have become THAT close, but we hang out once every blue moon and are regular fixtures on each other's boardgame nights.

Finally, in ONE case, we got on like a house of fire as if nothing had happened in the intervening time, and we go on regular holidays together to this day. I'd call that winning the jackpot, but I think that one was also helped because we were quite close before and the circumstances of losing contact were entirely out of our control.

I've never actually had any bad experiences. In one particular case, it was clear the guy lost all interest in pursuing even passing contact after it turned out my partner was, in fact, of the male sex, but as I had only invested about half an hour in casual replies to messages, it wasn't a huge sunk cost. So as long as this is the exploratory online messaging part, I think you're fairly safe. You control the pace, and what you share with the other party. Worst case, you just cut contact again and go back to where you were.

#3 Filip, Apr 16, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    74andHome and Tightrope like this.
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for this input. It's always nice to let people back in, even if it's for a short time - a couple of years - where the friendship fades because people change, have their own lives, live far apart, etc. At least there was a pleasant reconnection.

These outcomes seem way more good than not so good. I appreciate your responding and sharing what happened and can happen.

I slept on this last night. Literally. The e-mails, coming from different places, didn't seem right. To the first e-mail, in which I confirmed it was in use, I also asked how he was doing. Nothing (in the second and weirder e-mail). I sense that something is simmering more than a genuine desire to reconnect. We live very far away from each other, but that wouldn't matter at all. We've all scattered. He was sort of unraveled toward the end for his own personal reasons, I drifted because it was too much for me, and I think he took that as a judgement of him and his behavior. It was not. It was to preserve the peace I seek to surround myself with as much as possible.

If he wants to reach out again, and do it more genuinely, I will open the door.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait, he sent you messages from different email accounts or sent to more than one of your email accounts? Do you suspect it's not really him but someone using his email to try to scam you? You could communicate what was going on last time and what your concerns are now. If he doesn't like you being that honest he could say so, or if he doesn't speak freely either, he can stop engaging with you. Seems like you're trying to read his mind with your senses and thinking he's not genuine. Are you out to him? Maybe he's at the end of his rope and reaching out one last time. Was the unraveling related to mental health problems, which can include gambling and other addictions? Your self-work and experience with mental health might be very relatable to know he's not alone, if he isn't doing well.

Tightrope likes this.
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for this and adding more insight. I would definitely communicate what went sideways if there was a healthy way to communicate and he would listen. By genuine, I'm using the term the more old fashioned way. I'm intending it mean that he really wants to communicate and engage in a healthy way, the way friends are supposed to and which we historically did. Sexuality hasn't come up. The divorce was hard on him and he may have been acting out. I feel like I happened to be a bystander and stuff landed on me. I don't mind lending an ear and I did. I do mind having to soak in someone's misdirected anger. For now, this is tabled. I have to get a good vibe.

#6 Tightrope, Apr 16, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    mnguy and 74andHome like this.
  7. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tightrope it seems like you’re taking good care of yourself and staying ‘level headed’. Good choices! Wish you the best.

Tightrope likes this.
  8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, some 2 to 3 months later, that college friend reached out after many years but never got back to me through the original e-mail account he used to send the first message .... and an e-mail address I've known of for at least 20 years. I did not respond to the other e-mail message from another e-mail account with the unusual and slightly altered sender's name.

It's sort of sad. I also wonder what these maneuvers were all about. But I won't lose any sleep over it.