1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Crisis Mode.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bsg75apollo, May 15, 2022.

1. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am having a very rough time. My wife has thrown me a curve ball. She has mentioned the possibility of divorce not because of any sexuality issues but because she is tired of the responsibilities of marriage and thinks she wants to be responsible only for herself. So that is going on and now everything is up in the air. Last year I had to face the certainty of death without having surgery and the possibility of it with surgery. I also had two post-surgery stokes. I started seeing a therapist to deal with hat and also forge a new identity based on what I want out of life. Then during he course of therapy, I've gotten to dealing a lot of the hard stuff including my sexuality, so that is another new identity to deal with. Multiple people have gotten in my head by saying remarkably similar things. 1) That I need to accept that my wife already has one foot out of the door and accept that reality 2) That I'm fooling myself with the bisexual thing and that I am straight up (pun intended) gay. At least my sense of humor is in tact. And of course the last thing is that my wife and I are getting along good, but I think that I may have been friendzoned. Sigh. Im just overwhelmed.

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry you are going through so much. I think you really need to sit down with your wife and communicate each other feelings. It's not good to leave things up in air.

I hope things work out for you. It is all overwhelming, but we all here support you and help anyway we can.

3. BiShark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely what Rayland said, that seems like number one.

Are the medical issues resolved, or at least as well as they can be, or is something with that still holding over your head?

On the "1" and "2" above, it seems like you have some evidence for 1 now, but again, this seems like time for a frank talk with your wife about it. On 2, that's a little thornier. I think the main relevance to that right now is in helping you to decide what you want to do about your marriage.

4. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your sense of humour will get you through all of this.

Firstly I hope that your health issues are now resolved. It sounds like you went to hell and back there after your surgery and recovery.

Secondly, I’m so glad that you and your wife are getting along good. This means that you are both able to communicate and reach a place in both your lives where you will be happy, even if that does mean a divorce. You can still be friends and support each other.

5. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope you're at least physically ok now, sounds like you've really been through the wringer.

I don't have much useable advice here, as I've luckily been in decent health and never been married. So take what I say with a grain of salt. If she actually wants to leave, don't beg her to stay. I know it hurts like hell, but begging won't help. You probably know that already. I still think you should sit down and talk about this with her, maybe there are other ways to work things out besides divorce.

Sunchimes, Cinnamoon, Rayland and 2 others like this.
  6. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honey, I am so sorry you're going through all that right now. I, like many others, wish I could give you a great big hug right now, but I'm afraid all I can really offer is condolences and some minor advice on the relationship front.

As far as your health goes, I'm sorry you've suffered physically to the point of personal trauma. The only advice I can offer in regards to it is please remember in these times to adhere to your doctor's instructions as best as you possibly can, if there are any ongoing concerns.

I'm not going to pretend I can fix your marriage with a few pointers, because I can't. Nobody can. You and your wife have to solve this problem together, as you know. If, as you say, she's getting along with you well enough to keep things civil, I'd try to get as many answers as to what responsibilities she wants to rid herself of; get a better picture of what she's trying to get away from.

From my extremely limited perspective, it sounds like she's changed and she's either not sure in what way and wants to figure it out on her own or, more likely, is afraid to tell you because she doesn't want to hurt you. Based on your description of being "friendzoned" it may be a loss of sexual interest.

I don't mean to add to your stress, of course, I would just consider that as a possibility. Either way, you know we're here for you, and we'll offer whatever we can.

If nothing else, remember to take care of yourself! :heart:

7. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last May, I had heart surgery for a mitral valve replacement and a repair for an aortic dissection (my second one) I was supposed to have a triple bypass but they could only do one because the dissection was bleeding too much. After surgery, I had two strokes, one in each hemisphere.

And today just got more interesting i just got asked out on a date by a guy I recently met.

Rayland and DragonChaser like this.
  8. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I by no means wish to intrude, however I must ask, your heart remains a source of continued physical worry, right? If so, I ask you keep that paramount; focus on whatever step is best for your heart.

I've done some research based on what you've said. I trust there is a diet, exercise, and sleep regimen both your doctor and therapist would prefer you stick to. For whatever it's worth, I want you too, as well.

I only say this because, if I were in your position, I would give in to whatever made me feel better; certainly have a few drinks - you know, "just this one time." Because I'm an alcoholic. And I'd hate to see you sabotage your health the way I do, amid everything else happening to you.

You absolutely have a future, and it's better than your present, just don't take any chances with your body and health after everything you've been through!

As for the gentleman who asked you out, what are your feelings on it, beyond surprise? Elaborate as you will, and then weigh it against your circumstances; I would do this, and can offer nothing more... except love.

Which I'm sending; we're all sending it, en masse! ^___^

9. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @DragonChaser A lot of what you said has been the focus of therapy. Trying to determine what kind of life I want to create for myself that is going to best serve my health and growth. I can't say enough positive things about my therapist. It is a good match and he makes me face a lot of important truths no matter how uncomfortable. Our last session was really rough because he made me face the reality of this situation. As for being asked out, I think that my reaction is very telling. To tell you the truth, I got excited. My emotional state was probably similar to the stereotypical reactionof a teenaged girl who got asked out by one of the most popular boys in school. Giddy.

TinyWerewolf and DragonChaser like this.
  10. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, speaking only for myself, I'd have to weigh that excitement against the weight of the pain I felt at the thought of losing my spouse. I wouldn't want to jump into something new to try and erase that pain, because I've done that a thousand times, and it ruins everything.

I cannot speak for you, my beautiful friend, and fellow trekkie (Picard is my capo, btw, with Sisko a close second), these are merely the pitfalls I would fear in your position, knowing what I do of myself.

If your circumstances are different, that's understandable and I don't mean to offend in any way. I just want to give you the best advice I can, and... well, there it is!

11. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @DragonChaser During the last session he noted my frequent use of words like probably, possibly, maybe, and such as a way to deflect from having to face uncomfortably truths by confusing myself and sowing doubt.This is coupled with lack of ability to make declarative statements like I need, I want, I feel...When talking about the current situation I was doing both without even realizing it. I actually share your concerns, but I also feel like the universe is smacking upside the head and saying you wanted a clear answer, here it is.

DragonChaser likes this.
  12. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, if you feel like something's (let's call it fate's) smacking everyone upside the head with the answer, and all your friends are telling you that your wife and you are Splitsville, and here's this new guy who makes your toes curl... I hate to be a bitch, but... do you need an engraved invitation or are you looking for someone to talk you out of it?

13. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that it is probably the exact opposite. Damn it. See, I just used probably without even thinking.

DragonChaser likes this.
  14. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry, forgive my density, probably the exact opposite of which? Do you mean you need someone to talk you into it?

15. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More like permission, I think.

DragonChaser likes this.
  16. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If my permission will change your mind, you have it. Not every adventure life presents us is worth taking, but if I were you... run at love. The one you've got clearly wishes you well, but is looking for the door, just... don't expect this one to be the one, you know? I think you know that.

If anyone else's permission is needed, I hope you find it. I hope your journey of self-discovery is everything you need! And I hope I haven't misled you in any way! But I think there are new horizons awaiting you and you want to greet them so... what are you waiting for?

17. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say at least wait until you have the conversation with your wife, confirm that she's entirely sure she wants divorce at least before you do go on a date (or further) with this guy. This will ensure that you're not cheating and putting a nail in the coffin so to speak. Decision is yours though.

#17 TinyWerewolf, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
    BiShark and Rayland like this.
  18. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh absolutely. It is a conversation that needs to be had. I couldn't truly move forward without getting confirmation from her about what everyone is saying to me. That's not my style. If it is indeed what she truly wants, then I guess that for the first time in my life, I get to put myself first.

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  19. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, we had the conversation that I was avoiding. It was not nearly as bad as I expected. Not because I feared a bad reaction, but because I was going to hear stuff I didn't want to hear. Basically the upshot is I love, you love me (please don't start singing the Barney song), we are great friends, but not so great spouses. So, we are in no need to rush through things at this moment. We can take our time to think, plan, and figure out how to proceed. She would like to see other people. So, I guess that I am able to proceed with my first date ever with a guy. I never thought that I would be in this position in my life.

Rayland and Cinnamoon like this.
  20. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry, @bsg75apollo , we're all here for you.