1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help coming out to parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MsEmmzy, May 24, 2014.

1. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, I'm an MTF transgender. I need some help coming out to my parents.

Ever since I was really young, I was never happy with my life. But I learned to act like I was fine. So my whole life, I was just pretending to be perfectly happy. Sometimes I just get so sad and depressed that it really shows. The other day I just stopped trying to act happy. My parents started by joking around (as they usually do when I get upset). They would say "aww, are you grumpy?" and other things in a sort of mocking tone. Then eventually my dad just freaked out and yelled at me and told me to go to my room. About half an hour later, My mom came down and said to me, "You need to stop being so damn 'mopey' all the time, it's really starting to piss us off." She then left.

I have no idea how to approach this situation. It seems to me like they don't even care how I am feeling. My dad jokingly calls me gay a lot, but he sometimes gets mad and says things like "Quit acting like a :***: girl" and "You're lucky to have a penis, but you keep acting like you have a :***: vagina!" He usually says stuff like this a lot when I'm upset. I just feel like there's no way to tell them about this and that they would hate me.

I have no idea what to do! Please help? :help:

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There probably isn't a whole lot of things you can do until you are older and able to move out and support yourself. You may be lucky to have a penis, but you are unlucky to have insensitive parents who don't understand what their job is very well. Look for your support outside of the home, with friends, or starting with a counselor at your school. Things will get better for you as you mature and become independent, then it is your parents who will regret not understanding you and being supportive someday.

3. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Wow. Your parents sound like a real class act. (*hug*)