1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help and Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CAT0, Aug 17, 2020.

1. CAT0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So lately I've been experimenting ways that I could come out to my parents but nothing seems right. Coming out to my friend wasn't that hard but my parents are different. i don't know how but I know it would be much harder to come out to my parents. Does anyone have help or advice that I could use? Thnx! :3

2. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry I'm super deep in the closet. Came out to 3 friends and nobody in the family knows.

My best advice is this based on the kind of people your parents are you should modify your coming out.

If parents are transphobic: Ensure financial independence, do it in person, have a friend or loved one close by to support you in person/outside/on phone.

If parents are not transphobic: sit them down and tell them or write a letter to them expressing yourself as clearly as possible.

That is my advice, but like I said above, I have never really come out before, especially to my family. There are people on this site that are far better at this than me. Try to directly contact Community facilitators and Senior Members.

Best of luck.

CAT0 likes this.
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you received some sound advice from @quebec in your previous thread. If you are unsure about how your parents will react and still rely on them for safety and security it might not be a good time to come out. Even though it is hard living in the closet, it is much harder to live in the same house with parents who deny your identity and totally reject that part of you.

I don't like advising people to remain quiet, but nothing is more important than your safety and wellbeing.

4. KevCO

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There may be some sort of LGBT Community Center near you. Maybe there is a counselor or someone to talk through your situation with. As other commenters said, you probably want to think through where they are emotionally and that can influence your approach. It's usually good to use some humor, and try to have some for yourself too to make this time a little easier. Some people find it helpful to start by dropping hints without necessarily having the full conversation.