1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Calf, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I'm new to the forum so just introducing myself.
    I'm 32 from the UK, openly gay since my early high school years and live with my partner of 14 years.
    I love my sexuality because it made me the strong person I am today and I wouldn't change it even if it were possible. That's mainly the reason I joined this forum because I know that a lot people, young and old, don't always feel the same way as I do about their sexuality and if I can I want to help.
    I knew I liked other boys early on but once I realised this wasn't the same as everyone else I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I thought that once I came out as a young teen that the isolation and loneliness would finally be over but it wasn't. It was around the time I left school that I really knew I wasn't alone in this world and if this sort of forum had been available then it would have been life-changing. To be able to connect with someone that knew what I was feeling was all I wanted.
    So I know this isn't a time travel forum and I can't reach back to younger me but I'm happy to be the guy that can make you feel happier about being you.
    Hope to meet many of you on here soon. Don't be shy to say hi or ask anything I haven't said already.
    Calf

2. Inis

Hi, Calf. Nice to meet you and welcome to Empty Closet. :slight_smile:

I'm very curious to know how is living in England as a gay couple; that's the reason why I've opened a topic about this...
    Have you ever faced to many problems there or you might say UK isn't a homophobic country?

My God... it's sounds like an interview. Sorry XD

#2 Inis, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. QueerChair

Hey Calf, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

4. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi! Welcome to EC :slight_smile:

5. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Inis, I would say that England (and most of the UK) is not a homophobic country. There are still people that find it hard to accept others but I personally don't see any more homophobia than I see racism or sexism etc.
    We live in Leeds which is a city but the suburb we live in is not the best. It's not the nicest neighbourhood but we have lived here for 8 years and never had any problems with homophobia, apart from the rare comment from children.
    Me and my partner are openly out but we are both 'masculine' in behaviour so most people are surprised to know we are a couple. Maybe because we don't fit the stereotype people expect, they are more intrigued to get to know us.
    None of our friends have experienced serious homophobia but I know that some people do. Sadly it is still a big issue in some of the younger generations where our education system and social taboos let them down.
    Over the last ten years things really have changed a lot for the better, socially as well as legally.
    Hope that helps

6. Inis

I see. As I've already written in one of my post, I've always thought England what's like a "mecca" for gay people... but maybe because I'm italian and everyplace seems better then mine ^^''
    Thanks for the answer! :slight_smile:

7. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

8. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Welcome Calf...enjoy EC...I love it...