1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having trouble with pronouns?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by toki, May 17, 2016.

1. toki

i recently came out as agender to both my parents. they seemed quite supportive, although my mum laughed at first, and my dad decided to turn the conversation into an 'it doesn't matter what other people think of you' motivational speech.
    but although i've asked them to refer to me using 'they/them' pronouns, they constantly misgender me and use 'she/her' pronouns. they still call me a girl, and a young lady, and use traditionally female terms to describe me, even though it makes me very uncomfortable.
    i've asked them again on several occasions to use 'they/them' pronouns for me, but they still persist in misgendering me. my mum used my correct pronouns once, but immediately afterwards went back to using the wrong pronouns.
    i don't want to keep having to remind them again and again, but i hate it when they misgender me and i feel misunderstood and alone. what should i do?

2. xAce

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what you mean. I told my mom I feel uncomfortable in my own body and feel like I should be a man and said I wish my name was Ace. She was really supportive and nice about it and said she'd love me no matter what but she insists that she can call me whatever she wants like sweetie and honey and any time she makes reference to me being female, I flinch.
    The only thing I can think to tell you is keep reminding them. Sometimes people forget and if you remind them immediately they'll apologize and may try harder next time. The only other reason I can think other than them forgetting and just getting used to it is they feel that they still see you as a girl and won't/can't change their viewpoint. I hope that's not the case though.

3. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's tough, I think the key is persistence. It takes time for them to adjust, so gently reminded them each time that you prefer the pronoun "they". Also, maybe you can ask them to read a book on gender? I have no good recommendations but maybe some other posters here will.