1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble feeling good

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by beckyg, Aug 28, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Tess, I can't be doing illegal drugs. I'm a child care provider. One day of "Becky's high "would ruin my business. However, I do take alot of herbal stuff including the tumeric which is the best one for inflammation. I've been taking some to try to get my adrenal glands working again too as well as some energy boosters. You should see the pile of stuff I take. Sometimes I wonder if all the calories in those are causing the weight gain! Its like a handful!

My friend that I went to the concert last night is a nurse. I asked her if the cortisone shots are as painful as everyone tells me. She said yes unless you go to this one doctor who does them almost pain free. So I'm going to get the name of that doctor. I can also take some pain relievers before I go that might help with the pain.

Oh and for my feel good moment yesterday...........

I had a blast at the concert! My favorite singer (next to Garth) is Brandi Carlile who is still relatively unknown but mark my words, she's going to be huge! Her song The Story is being used in a GM commerical right now and her songs have been used on Grey's Anatomy. I saw her the first time when she opened for the Indigo Girls. She has an amazing voice! Check her out on youtube. Sheryl showed up at 9:15 and played without a break until after 11:00. That girl can rock the house! She did Aerosmith's Walk This way! I embarrassed my daughter. I heard somebody ask why Sheryl was so late and I said outloud "Ah, he must be a Republican or he'd know that!" :roflmao: Hey I thought it was funny. She threw in a few political statements during her performance. She said there was a "Rock the Vote" booth there. I soooo wanted a Rock the Vote t-shirt but I couldn't find the booth. I even asked at the t-shirt sales and they had no idea. I guess I will have to order one online. Anyway........good times!

2. Quitex

Quitex Guest

OH! when I read that I was like ZOMG, Christina should've been there, I HATE YOU BACKY!
    But then re-read the thing, and it was a Booth, not an event. LOL.

glad you had fun :grin:

3. KaraBulut

From the description of your symptoms, most of what you're experiencing is related to stress. These things are the way that our bodies tell us that we need to step back and let go of some of the things that cause of us stress.

The interesting thing is that many of the side effects that we attribute to stress are produced by hormones that our body produces when we are stressed. Among those hormones is cortisol (produced by the adrenal glands). The side effects of cortisol? Weight gain, water retention, inability to concentrate, trouble sleeping, tiredness and a tendency to pick up colds and other illnesses. Sound familiar?

On your medical issues- before you start cortisone injections, you might want to try an anti-inflammatory like Celebrex. It's very effective and it doesn't have the side effects of cortisone. And until your hip pain gets better, you might try a less weight-bearing exercise such as swimming or yoga instead of walking.

And if you haven't had a physical and a blood workup- you should have everything checked. There are other things like mononucleosis and thyroid dysfunction that can also cause similiar symptoms.

4. pirateninja

First of all, big hugs to Becky. As one of our beloved EC Moms, we all want you to be happy in your life.

I can't really say anything that hasn't been said already, but I'm glad you had a feel good moment at your concert :thumbsup:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks Karabulut! I have no thyroid. I had thyroid cancer at age 23 and it was removed. My doctor keeps me on a low dosage of the thyroid replacement as to not stimulate cancer in any remaining thyroid tissue left in the body but I'm wondering if that's all that good for me. I mean I've been cancer free for 23 years do I really need to worry about that after all this time? I do have regular physicals with the blood work-up once yearly and its about time to do that again.

What kind of side affects are there with the cortisone shots? Everybody has told me once you get past that initial pain of the shot, they really help. No side affects were mentioned to me.

I really am not picking up illnesses. Its just that feeling of being tired, lack of energy, the weight gain and yes I'm retaining water too. My feet have been swelling really bad in the heat.

I have also tried a prescribed anti-inflammatory that made me feel better while I was taking it however the doctor I went to didn't even want me to try that. He was ready to give me the shots then and I talked him into the inflammatory. I don't think it was Celebrex. Is Celebrex hard on the stomach?

6. KaraBulut

Thyroid hormones regulate metabolism. Without the replacement thryoid hormone, you would notice a big decrease in your energy level. Given that you have been on the medication for so many years, it is probably something that you will need to continue to take since any remaining thyroid tissue you have may not produce enough hormone to maintain what your body needs.

It would be a good idea to have your levels checked to make sure that you are getting adequate thyroid hormone replacement.

Cortisone injections work very well for acute inflammation- for example, when someone has a pinched nerve or is having back spasm. The problem with cortisone injections for chronic inflammation is that the injection gets rid of the inflammation temporarily but the inflammation often returns. To get the anti-inflammatory effect, you have to repeat the cortison shots. You can repeat them every 60-90 days but it does mean having the rather long needle inserted into your hip joint each time.

Cortisone that is injected has many of the same effects as the cortisone produced by the body during stress, so while it may help temporarily with the inflammation in your hip, you may find that it makes some of your stress-related symptoms worse. If it were a one-time thing, this might be more tolerable but it sounds like the problem is a long-term problem, so the shots would need to be repeated. There's an article about the injections on the Mayo website here-> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pain-medications/PN00046

Celebrex does not irritate the stomach or have many of the side effects of drugs like ibuprofen, naproxyn or aspirin. It is very effective in reducing inflammation and a short course of Celebrex may help reduce the inflammation enough to allow you to get back into normal activities.

7. ScentedRegrets

Oh dear, Becky I am sorry to hear about that. I have an aunt who was in a very similar predicament... chronically tired, would go to sleep at 9pm and not really fall asleep until 3 or 4 am, and then be up again at 5am. Every day, there was another part of her body that ached. All of this led her to become chronically depressed.

All of this, until about three years ago. We recently had a family BBQ, and my uncle asked her how she was so much better so quickly. She said that she did several of the things that you had mentioned. She gets cortizone shots regularly, and she sought counseling. Her counselor actually told her that the key to physical well being and being physically comfortable is actually a result of a emotional well being. When you are emotionally strong and healthy, your body releases something (I want to say pandorphines or something like that) that make your metabolism as a whole stronger and more efficient.

Becky, if I were you, I would invest your time in getting yourself emotionally strong. Maybe this involves counseling, maybe this involves just talking with your husband. Based on your profile, I run the assumption here that you are close to your children. Maybe you could spend more time with them. You are a beautiful person and I really hate to see you down like this. But there is something about you that tells me you have a very strong will and a very strong personality... and a good one at that.

Also, as far as a job and all, I work in Human Resources. I know several national head hunters. If you want to take on a career change, then I would be honored to help you however possible. If not, I find the best tool for me, during my recruiting responsibilities, is actually indeed... this site takes job openings from all kinds of job boards... Monster, Yahoo, Career Builder, JobFox, etc. Please PM me if you would like any assistance. I do HR for a living, so I think I could definitely help you.

I believe that I speak on behalf of the entire EC community... we are all here for you. Please keep us updated.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for the information. I did some reading on cortisol last night and that does sound like the problem. I will ask my doctor about Celebrex too.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow, my own personal HR person. (!)(!)(!) I will definitely let you help me if and when I feel the time is right for a job change. Thank you! (*hug*)

10. ScentedRegrets

Yay! Please do! I would love to help how ever possible.