1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having an ECG while trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sasu, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Sasu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm a pre-t trans guy and was recently told by my doctor that I need to get an electrocardiogram (ECG) done for reasons that don't really need to be mentioned. I wear a binder and I obviously won't be able to wear it during the test since electrodes need to go on areas of my chest that would normally be covered by a binder, so I'm just wondering how I should prepare. Do I need to wear a bra or something of the sort (I'm extremely reluctant to for obvious reasons but I guess I'll just have to if I have no other choice) or do they normally do the test completely topless? Do any other guys/binder-wearers have any experience with this sort of thing? I appreciate any info/advice I can get.
    Thanks!

2. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I once made an ECG wearing a bra but they didn't ask to remove it because it was loose fitting; they just put some electrodes under it.

3. OtterGrump

When I had a monitor for when I had my wisdom teeth out, I just wore my sports bra (at the time I didn't have a binder after all). However this heart monitor wasn't the same as an ECG, I think it was less precise in placement and fewer electrodes. But anyway a sports bra should work. For me the assistant doing all the vital things told me what she was going to do and just put two in from the neck of my shirt and then two from the bottom. It was all fine, pretty short anyway.