1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy confirmed a couple.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Lazuri

In a Harley Quinn chat on twitter, DC comics confirmed that Harley and Ivy are "girlfriends without the jealousy of monogamy." Score!

[​IMG]

2. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

i'm not sure if that counts as anything since it's poison ivy...

anyway....it's goddamn hot =P

4. BelleFromHell

5. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I fully support this:slight_smile:

6. sheenak

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

DC is stocking up on LGBT cred.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh fuck yeah.

9. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eeeeeee!!! I've no joke shipped this since I was a little kid! It makes me giddy! Ivy and Harley are always so cute together~<3

10. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been telling everyone it's canon since day one. But did anyone believe me? noooooo~

11. Posthuman666

12. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so glad that I can stop arguing this with people.

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

wat

Isn't HQ's whole character more or less about being the girlfriend of the joker tho, and isn't Ivy suppose to not care about anything but plants? Meh, I don't mind developing these 2 beyond that by any means but I'm a little skeptical about how much sense this makes. Both of them are homicidal psychopaths anyway so I'd question how seriously their relationship can be taken, same as with HQ + Joker where he was just manipulating her the whole time for his own gain

14. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Homicidal maniacs can love too! Harley and the Joker broke up in the comics and if you ever watched B:TAS you would know that Ivy did care for Harley a great deal. In fact their relationship was one of the few (if not the only one) to be shown as actual friendship instead of using each other for personal gain in the crime world.

#14 XenaxGabby, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  15. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dont make me link to evidential panels and write long-winded paragraphs on their characters traits, and dynamics. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: To paraphrase it all: Harley is totally head over heels for Joker, but Ivy fills a different aspect of a romantic (and sexual) relationship for her.

Additionally, there's this humanity in Ivy which really brings out the best in Harley. Tbh I've always found their relationship (friendship or otherwise) oodles more compelling than Harley/Joker.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2015 at 01:11 AM ----------

With the Harley/Joker interactions, it always felt as though HQ's character was a bit muffled. Theyre both just such loud characters, that if they were together and both at full capacity, it would be complete comprehension chaos for the viewer. She becomes way more dormant due to this, and although you could chalk it up to her being Mr J's little lady servant, I really don't think that's what it is. You can have those character dynamics without changing personality traits... *shrug*

With Harley/Ivy her character can always be at 100% as there isn't anyone for her to compete with. These great characteristics of strength and boldness come out, and she just blossoms. It's these two badass gals kicking ass.

Idk, most of this is dependant on whoever is doing the writing for the issue/animation, this is just an amalgamation of my thoughts over the years. Feel free to comment or challenge me on my opinions :slight_smile: it would be a lot of fun to discuss this.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2015 at 01:16 AM ----------

Sorry, sorry, final thoughts. With Joker, it's apparent Harley is just a gimmicky sidekick (a sidegimmick?) To complement Joker, with Ivy, she can reach her full Individual character potential.

By her, I mostly mean whoever is writing her.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I know that Harley and Ivy always had a friendly/possibly flirtatious relationship, I'm just saying I took it with a grain of salt because the main thing they have in common is they're both deranged villains who murder people indiscriminately lol. I know the Batman Animated Series is 1 of the most famous and influential versions of Batman period (they gave us Mark Hamill as the joker ffs xD) but it's pretty obvious the cartoons used watered down portrayals of those characters because otherwise they'd be too dark for children. For the Harley and Ivy I know it doesn't make sense because they clearly lack any empathy or regard for human life in general, but despite that I'm supposed to believe they have normal romantic feelings for each other at the same time? I'm fine with complex characters and villains, but the writing here feels borderline contradictory to me. I realize this is normal in comic books where everything about any character is subject to change depending on who writes them.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: it's more that it doesn't fit my idea of what the characters are, if that makes any sense.

17. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You really need to watch more of Batman The Animated Series then because the subtext between them is ridiculously strong.

18. Lazuri

This makes no sense. TAS was the first appearance of Harley so they couldn't possibly water her down and other characters obviously weren't watered down to not get too dark. I mean, for fuck's sake, Mr. Freeze was a goddamn clown before TAS which is where he got the dramatic backstory that he now has.

TAS was dark. So much so, in fact, that I did not like it as a child. Ivy and Harley's relationship was one of the few brigthspots in the entire show.

Also, I'm going to point out that Ivy does not kill indiscriminately. She uses men to do her bidding and she goes after people who destroy the environment. That's not "indiscriminately" and Harley fulfills none of those two requisites.

As for Harley, she kills pretty much indiscriminately, but she is still capable of love and as DC said in the very same HQ Chat they confirmed the relationship in: "When Harley falls in love, she falls in love hard and loyally with whomever they are."

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

If TAS was the 1st appearance of Harley that actually explains alot, I never knew that o=

I know TAS is good and I'd never argue that, it took several of the characters like Joker or Freeze and added elements of backstory or personality to them that are now inseparable from their respective characters. I think what I'm saying here is, while a certain character dynamic might have worked fine in the Animated series, I think it conflicts with with aspects of of the characters that are less censored in the comics for example many of them being mass murdering sociopaths at their core. I feel I should be rooting against the villains and disgusted by their actions, rather than oohing and awing at cutesy moments like this. But that's just my preference, I like my batman villains dark and psychological xD

I always got the impression Ivy views humanity itself as a threat to plants and isn't particularly bothered about killing anyone unfortunate enough to harm them indirectly in her presence. Given her large disconnect from humanity I'd think she'd prefer to spend time in isolation with her flowers as her only company. I would of actually expected Ivy of all people to be asexual towards humans in general though she is aware of her own sex appeal and uses it to her advantage in accomplishing her goals. Is there a reason why she wouldn't hypnotize a woman to do her bidding?

For Harley, honestly I never liked her much in the first place. She never seemed to be much of her own character and I can't say I care at all for her personality, though it's good if DC has been doing more to get her out from under Joker's shadow in recent years. I'm pretty sure Harley's idea of love is nothing like the average person's especially if her "love" for Joker is the example because that was more of a psychotic obsession on her part and calculated mental abuse and manipulation on Joker's. I cringe a little any time I'm asked to consider them as if they have a real romantic relationship, and I somehow doubt it'd be any different with Ivy lol

#19 kageshiro, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  20. Lazuri

The thing with Batman is that it has several villains that have an ounce of humanity to them and that makes them relatable and that in turn makes people like them as characters. Personally I much prefer villains with some depth and humanity instead of just being a mindless force of evil because why the fuck not. Even the Joker isn't the way he is for shits and giggles.

Ivy's pheromones do not work on women, that's why. She also seems to like women much more than men as Harley is not the only female character Ivy is at least neutral towards as she quite often interacts with Catwoman and while they tend to bitch off at each other a LOT, they don't seem to really dislike each other--even though Catwoman will occasionally fuck with Ivy's plants out of spite or shits and giggles.

As for Harley, I think she's a great character, a lot due to the aforementioned humanity. Harley is basically the textbook definition of a relationship abuse victim who keeps coming back for more despite the way she's being treated. It makes her relatable because she's just another victim to the Joker--probably even the biggest one.