1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardest person to come out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MixedNutz, Feb 19, 2013.

?

Who was/is the hardest person to come out to?

1. Mom

41 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Dad

74 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Brother/Sister

9 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Best Friend

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Grandparent

15 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. Other

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I voted for my mom...but she's been fabulous. And she filled in my dad, and he was awesome, too.

So...I'm changing my answer...

My grandparents are going to be the issue. They're VERY close-minded and intolerant of life style that don't fit their idea of "normal." My grandfather, specifically...oh my. I just don't think I'll ever be able to tell them.

2. SilentSinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For me, it was definitely my best friend...

3. Nyanko

It was easy to tell all of my family except my mom. Everyone knew she wasn't going to take it well, and she didn't.

4. Crystine

Crystine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    omg, sorry for laughing but that's hilarious :lol:

5. campervankid

I think it would be hardest for me to come out to my dad becuase he lives in London (about six hour drive from where I live) and I dont see him that often but before he moved we were really close and I just think it would make conversations really awkward - plus I dont know if he'd be ok with it.

6. Clowstar

my grandparents. i haven't really talked to them since my family moved almost 9 years ago. my dad calls them every weekend but no one else is allowed to talk to them for some reason. they hate us now or something. we're fortunate if we even get to visit them once a year. they're very sick and get worse for a week if we visit for even one day.
    not to mention, they're pretty conservative. they're baptist, so i don't know their opinions on gays but it's not like i really get the chance to talk to them about it either.

if my grandmother dies before my grandfather does (which isn't likely since he's been in bad shape for about 12 years now), i'll probably tell him. i always loved him and tried to get close to him but my grandmother is a bitch and is the reason we don't get to visit/call. otherwise, i probably won't tell them before they die. but i don't feel like i'll regret it either, you know? it's not something that they really need to know. they probably won't be alive by the time i should be getting married. i'm kinda sad about that, but they wouldn't be able to attend unless we held the wedding in their town since they aren't healthy enough to travel. i really wish i could have my grandfather attend my wedding. he's a total sweetheart and i can always see the amount of love he has for me every time i do get to see him.

7. FemCasanova

Actually, it was hardest for me to come out at work. My family was not a problem. If I was still in contact with my biological father, I guess that could have been a bit nerve-wrecking, if I didn`t enjoy spiting and frustrating him so much. But I gave up all contact with him before I came out to myself, so, that wasn`t ever a problem. My mother loves me, so I always have known that unless I confessed to murder, she`d love and accept me either way. My siblings are the coolest people in the whole world. But at work? Now that`s a scary place to be open for me, and coming out there was really tough! Both times. Maybe it will get easier in time, as I assume I am going to switch jobs a few times before I settle down somewhere.

8. secretguyX

I'd say my best friend, only because she was the first person I came out to. I think whoever it may be, the first person to come out to is usually the hardest. I don't really talk to that friend anymore though, at most a hi in the hallways every once in a while.

Although I have to say, coming out to my mom may have been close to it, although it wasn't extremely difficult because she had questioned me about it.

9. Renge

Mom : i dunno, never have the courage to bring up the topic
    Dad and my bestfriend : oh my gosh, they're religious bad-ass and super homophobic :/

10. prism

My parents were both equally accepting and supportive, but it's harder knowing that my dad knows. He is not very emotional, so I can never tell what he's thinking, which freaks me out.

11. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad, and maybe some companions. There was actually a white little rumor in the past of me being Bisexual, in school. In a way it's somewhat true since actually being Pansexual almost relates to being Bisexual. But me being frightened as usual, I denied the rumor. Besides, who the hell in real life will know what Pansexuality is anyway...I still won't get the guts to come out as a non-heterosexual either way.

12. therunawaybff

My dad. Because I have never heard him refer to a gay guy as anything but a faggot or a queer. As in, "Look at those fucking faggots" or "They spend more time trying to give queers the right to marry than they do trying to fix the economy. Talk about having your priorities screwed up." (Direct quotes.)

Also he doesn't know that me and my boyfriend have been sleeping together for over five years, and he views us as having a brotherly relationship. He kind of sees him a third brother adopted into our family.

So yeah. That coming out is probably going to be bad. :frowning2:

13. CountessAbby

'Its got to be a huge challenge. Knowing people would judge you on such silly nonsense as your gender preference? That is like judging someone based on their eye color. Good lord. We are who we ARE. How does your sexual and gender preference affect someone else's life? Its not about them its about "you". We were all made the way we are. I am so sorry that some of you had to struggle with parents etc. Keep in mind some of us old geezers were raised by very narrow minded and close minded people. there are still some in the south who believe in slaves. Good Lord you would hope we could get beyond such pettiness, and sooner not later.

---------- Post added 27th Feb 2013 at 08:27 PM ----------

My husband hasnt been quite that graphic but he has said things like "They need to pack those guys up and send them all to some other damn country" and he has said it in front of our 16 year old son who is gay. He was 13 at the time and still remembers it. I guess that might be why I know about his upcoming alternative lifestyle and his dad still has no idea. These comments are so hurtful...and dad has no idea he is talking about is own child when he makes these comments. I am sure the same of your father. We are products of our own disjointed parents ideas too...and some are brainwashed. I think every parent can change their thinking.....!! Hang in there.

14. therunawaybff

Thanks Abby, you are a sweetheart to be so supportive of your kid.

It is terrible. I love my dad. But every time I've ever heard him make an offhand remark like that felt like he was reaching over and stabbing me with his pocket knife. I have to sit there and pretend I don't care, because those remarks aren't supposed to apply to me.

15. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My grand mother, who is sadly kinda dense and set in stone. Mom was difficult but not horribly so, grand ma well I'm a known lair whihc is a bad thing to admit but yea I lie a lot to family, oddly no one else and my subtly goes beyond her radar. We went to a gay church last week and she asked my brother why I wanted to go to one so much the past few weeks. I found it sad she didn't just ask me directly.

16. Veritas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My dad obviously... he'll probably hang my head on the wall if I told him -_-.

17. ioden

My parents. They've practically supported and taught me all they knew, and they trust me so much that it'd be so painful to them if I don't trust them back on this issue. I'd break their hearts definitely, but they would still accept me, I'm sure of that.

They would also feel sad because they know that if I come out, I'll live a very difficult life, specially since I'm going to work in the field of politics, which is very intolerant of GLBTIQP people. I'll have to face them, though.

18. Nemo39122

Well I would say my dad because he's the most homophobic, biphobic, transphobic, and overall hateful person I have ever met. Any time he's said anything about anyone LGBT it's in the form of wanting the person or people to be brutally murdered.

BUT I will NEVER come out to him. So maybe my mom, just because as much as we don't get along she's still family. If things go bad with friends they can just not really be in my life anymore, but I'm stuck with family mostly.

Other than that, probably my martial arts instructor. She's one of my closest friends in addition to being my instructor...so she has a pretty big influence on my life. I'm terrified to ruin that, or even make things awkward or different in some way...

19. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

My dad for sure!

He would explode and probably deny it. I don't think I'll be able to tell him till I really have to.

20. LadyInMS

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This was tough, really! I think my mom is going to take it "OK." I have a brother on my dad's side who is also gay, and she was accepting of him. BUT - that's not her biological child. She also seems to really like my friends who she has been around who are gay. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how she does react.

I have a brother tho, on mom's side, who is about as straight laced as they come. We had an arguement one time about an NFL football player who had long dreads and was playing on the team. He was disgusted. He's also against inter-racial marriages, huge age gaps, and those who are from different religions entering into marriage. I'm pretty sure he's going to shit a brown baby cow when he finds out. I could honestly care less tho. That's one of the things I had to come to terms with.

Only two people know at this point in time, and you can believe I am keeping names and numbers of who knows right this minute. I've only been out a little over a week to these two people, so I'm still new. :slight_smile: