1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallucinations? Help please?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really freaked out because I used to have terrifying hallucinations as a kid and I'm worried that they're coming back. As a kid, I had visual, auditory and tactile hallucinations. I saw things like snakes, lizards, people standing over my bed, corpses, a demon or monster (not sure). A lot of the time, I'd also see someone out of the corner of my eye. Like I could feel someone standing there but when I looked directly at them, they'd disappear. And I would hear people calling my name, singing, walking down the hall, heavy breathing, etc. Sometimes, I'd be half asleep and I'd hear a noise...this would start out quiet and get louder and louder until I got startled awake. You have to understand, this was in the dead of night and everyone in my house denies making any sounds...I'd also hold my breath to make sure it wasn't me breathing and it wasn't. I'd also feel the "snakes" moving over my face, I'd feel people like jabbing at me, touching my hair or grabbing at my feet when I was trying to sleep. It was always the worst when I was trying to sleep or when I'm alone.

So I actually got told by a therapist that I had psychosis related to my anxiety and depression. My hallucinations disappeared for some reason when I was around fourteen years old. I did start taking Lexapro then so that might be why. I'm not on Lexapro anymore but a stronger drug which doesn't seem to do much anyway.

But I am terrified because I'm starting to see things again at seventeen years old...and that's how my original hallucinations started, with the visual ones. It's kind of intense although they disappear as soon as I look directly at them. So I only see them out of the corner of my eye. They're dark (black or gray) figures...sometimes they're light (white) too. Sometimes it's like a full body standing in my room and sometimes it just looks like I can see a person's head or face. I think I've also seen a hand but that's just my interpretation. I've also seen black shapes running across the floor. I thought they might be mice or cockroaches, like real living animals but I look and they disappear.

I am under a lot of stress...I only really noticed because I have a lot of acne right now and I only break out when I'm under stress or on my period (and it's not that lol). And I am really tired, I don't know why because I'm trying to get to bed earlier but it doesn't help. I have lost basically all of my friends...I've just started at TAFE, I have my job now and I'm struggling to keep my long distance relationship together so that is a lot of stress. I feel like I don't have any time for myself or to do anything but work, work, work. That is bringing me down a bit because I feel like my life doesn't have any real purpose outside of working.

I feel like I really need help ASAP because I feel like I'm going insane...I guess the logical (maybe?) thing to do would be to get put on different medication but I don't want to do that. Last time I had to switch meds, I got sick where I constantly felt like I was going to vomit or pass out. I also got very emotional during the transitional period so I'd prefer not going through all that again. Is there anything I can do to get rid of hallucinations? I used to have one of those Himalayan salt lamps which I kept on just because the dark makes the hallucinations worse...but I had to throw that away because it was melting. And it's kind of weird but I used to listen to ASMR because if someone was talking to me it would distract my mind. But that's only ways to deal with the hallucinations, not get rid of them entirely. Is there any way to just make them disappear?

Wesley007 likes this.
  2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spot,

I really feel for you, and I'm sorry you're going through this.

You have a significant medical issue, one that you're being treated for, and have been treated for years, by medical professionals. As much as we in the EC community want to help you, we're not doctors and we don't have the medical expertise to help. Please go see your doctors right away. These kinds of hallucinations don't sound good, especially since you've had them before.

3. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with what I'mGay said and would like to also note that you should try to keep a journal of them so you can keep track of your sympthoms and to see if there is something else that is triggering them.
    I am in same boat as you except I am not on medication for it yet. :/ I am trying to handle it on my own. Which I do not recommend because I do not know your abilities. I recommend strongly that you try to relax and find someone you can talk to about these things and have them be someone who will know calming methods to help you break out of this at any time.
    Like an emergency contact or something.
    Be safe. -Wes

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the advice you've already received. You must seek professional help.

We can offer support and encouragement, but we cannot offer specific advice about coping with hallucinations. This is a serious mental health issue that you need to discuss with your doctor and therapist.

Chiroptera and Wesley007 like this.
  5. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe try to get interested in a new hobby and focus on it and try to implement it into trying to work out your feelings and what you see. It sometimes helps me when i paint or when i play a video game.

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to let you know you're not alone. I'm bipolar, and have had the same things happen to me, and to some extent, it's still happening. I'd also hear voices calling my name, or stuff like doors opening or closing, but the door is the way it was the whole time. I'd also see things, especially human-like "shadows" out of the corner of my eye but when I turn to look, they disappear.

I was admitted to a mental hospital back in 2012, and during one of the classes, I saw out of the corner of my eye this MASSIVE spider running towards my feet but when I (very quickly) turned my head to look, it was gone. That was a very scary experience, and the first time it happened with other people around, in broad daylight. I understand what you're saying about feeling things touching you, because I get that too. I'd feel my skin crawl like when there's something running over it, but there's nothing and it keeps happening, even after I've rubbed over the area to make sure it's not just a spider web or something.

I know how scary it is to experience these things. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone and I do understand how scared you are. I know that psychosis is one of the symptoms of mania, so I at least know it's just part and parcel of my "illness". I second what the others have said - you need to speak to your doctor sooner rather than later, so that he/she can get you on the right treatment. I'm on a new type of medication now, and though it hasn't completely disappeared, the hallucinations have lessened quite considerably.

I understand it's scary to think about switching meds or changing the dosage, but if it means you can lead a more normal life, you have to just do it. Unfortunately, with any new medication, we don't know all the side-effects it might have until we've tried it. Sure, you could read the pamphlet but you won't know what it would do until you've tried it. I hope you get this sorted out soon. All the best

Wesley007 likes this.
  7. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually feel random physical sensation quite often. My doctor could not name any diagnosis he thought made sense. I also see very small dark shapes randomly flicker occasionally and recently I have been hearing people say incoherent things and I ask them and they say they said nothing ( this happens like 1-2 a week). I figure it is probably triggered by stress in my case.