1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Guff, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Guff

Hello whoever it is that decided to read this.
    I'm on a very religious oriented soccer team, as far as I was aware, everyone was homophobic.
    Last month, our team had a tournament out of state where we stayed in dorms together. So there's this guy on my team I'll call TS, who I ended up Sharing a room with. We've never been very close, not like we disliked each other, just kinda co existed on the team these past years.
    I'm not sure how, but we started having this conversion that felt very open, he told me about some of his big social insecurities and I told him about my depression. It was very open, I kinda just got lost in the flow, and told him I'm gay. I IMMEDIATELY regretted it. I felt as if by telling a straight guy, who idek the religious beliefs of who has to share a room with me was a really bad idea!
    But he took it well! Not only was he okay with that sort of thing, but he didn't act uneasy in ANY sense of the word Sharing a room with me! The next morning, he even walked around shirtless awhile in our room LOL

Though we're still not like close friends, and that night didn't really cause us to talk much more or anything, it still felt great! Honestly, coming out too straight roommate's has always been something I feared might be awkward in college, but after this I feel much better about it! :slight_smile:

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Guff,

That's great! As I keep trying to tell you, things will get better. I'm a bit confused though. You said "coming out to straight roommate's has always been something I feared might be awkward in college", but you're still at home right now, if I understand the situation you described correctly.

A LOT of people, especially among the younger generations these days, are far less interested in being told what to think and tend to be far more accepting. As you and I know, there is NOTHING wrong with the fact that you are homosexual. What IS wrong is that you are still living in a community amongst a whole lot of closed-minded individuals, most of whom would simply choose to ostracize you for your sexual orientation as if you 'chose' to tell them that you didn't believe in the Word of Christ or even God. We both know that your sexuality has nothing to do with your religious belief, but such blind ignorance is a huge problem.

As always, Stay Stong, My Friend!

QR

#2 Quantumreality, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  3. Guff

I am still a high school student, but I'm working hard on SAT prep and getting my crap together in hopes of going off to college next year. And weirdly amongst my many college fears such as tuition fees and difficulty, sharing a room with a straight guy and making him feel awkward has been a fear of mine. I know that sounds weird, but its almost perished to not a fear at all after that coming out. :slight_smile:

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey dude,

Yeah, I know that you are still finishing 'high school' in your private schooling system. You'll do great on the SAT )and ACT, if you choose to take both of them.)

In general,straight guys, in my experience, are not 'offended' nor awkward if you are just upfront with them about your sexuality. The two of you are roommates, not boyfriends. He has a sexual orientation. You have one. Being roommates is mostly about understanding the other person and learning to live their peculiarities. And by 'peculiarities', I mean such things as tidiness (or lack thereof), loudly snoring at night (or not), impetus to play practical jokes (or not), as well as, of course, the simple realities of sexual orientation. Heck, he may be more of an exhibitionist that likes to parade around the room half-or-mostly naked, regardless of your orientation. And what if he's comfortable, as a straight guy, 'entertaining' a girlfirend in the room even while you are there? Roomates are a challenging part of life and require you to work with the other guy to set mutually acceptable boundaries. It's generally good practice for dealing with things later in life.

BUT, as a gay guy, you CANNOT start out assuming that you are in a weaker position simply because of your sexuality. You have to come at your roommate (and it's not always nor necessarily a directly adversarial situation) as a co-equal. You 'own' a right to your portion of the room and to not be inconvenienced in your ability to sleep, study, etc simply because your roomate may rate other priorities above those that you consider important..