1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good ideas for clothing?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jediknight36, May 28, 2015.

1. Jediknight36

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So Im considering a few things in my clothing routine to make myself look less masculine, and Tacoma Pride is coming up. So some ideas I had:

Head scarf: to help hide my bald head
    Kilt: will get when have money
    Some sort of agender shirt: havent been able to find one under $20

If anyone has any other ideas how a big burly masculine looking guy can show a bit less masculine, or where to find a shirt for cheaper for pride, Id love to see! Thanks in advance! As soon as I can, I think I will start hormones. I just feel like now, Im free to express myself.

2. Tyrael

When you say a kilt do you mean like what us guys here in Scotland wear? Because that will not make you look less masculine. If anything it's the opposite. Perhaps I'm wrong though and a kilt is something different where you live?

In terms of looking less masculine, I'm not really very experienced on it but I imagine one thing would be removing all visible body hair? I say this because I'm kind of a hairy guy and it makes sense to me to get rid of it if that was my goal. Sorry I can't offer much advice there, but I know my kilts!

3. Jediknight36

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, Im shaving more now, hopefully hormones will help with that too. In the US, the kilt is seen more as a "man skirt". I would wear a normal skirt, but cant find one with enough pockets. Dont usually like to take my purse. So a utiliity kilt is closest thing I can find now. If I could wake up tomorrow androgynous, I would.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    - Earrings, bracelets, and necklaces.
    If you know where to look, you can find jewellery that's pretty inexpensive and in good quality. Some stores may still have their Memorial sales on.

- make-up

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last month, I had a gig that started just before our local transgender support group, so I was late, and still in my kilt from the performance. Even if relatively unusual attire, they are definitely not feminine. The one leader of the group even commented that it was the first time he ever saw me dressed like a guy.

6. Jediknight36

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wish I knew what to do. I don't like carrying a bad everywhere and so far, I cant find anything feminine enough that is also versatile.

---------- Post added 29th May 2015 at 11:05 PM ----------

Guess it's time to get my ears pierced. And my girlfriend is going to teach me how to make up.

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

So the fun (by which I mean completely awful) about wearing feminine clothing is that there is no convenient way to carry your possessions. Ever. None. (Okay that's a bit of an exaggeration, but honestly for the most part it's true.) The jeans have tiny pockets and the skirts have no pockets and apparently the people making them think that all you really need to carry around is like one stick of chapstick and maybe a small pebble???? Who knows??? In all of my women's jeans, my phone sticks out of the pocket at least one or two inches, and I have a fairly small phone. It's ridiculous. So basically, wearing feminine clothes is a kinda shitty trade off where you look totally beautiful but can't carry anything useful ever. So basically, carrying a bag might kinda suck, but unless you can find a skirt with pockets (and pockets of a usable size, too), you might just wanna get yourself a purse or an androgynous bag. I know it's not ideal, but sadly there aren't a whole lot of options.

8. Tyrael

There's a very good reason for it actually. Handbags :dry: tiny pockets or no pockets in female focused clothing is simply so you will buy a handbag to put your stuff in. Capitalism at it's finest. Also, kilts don't have pockets so I don't see how that would work better than your average skirt. We use a sporran to carry our essentials when we're in kilts. Not generally an option if you're trying to pass it off as a skirt.

9. Jediknight36

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The kilts I was looking at have cargo pockets. Thats my main goal: Pockets. If I had it my way, Id have cargo skirts and dresses. I just dont like caring stuff everywhere. Im also looking into those wraps you can get for your bottom half for hot climates, such as they were in eastern island nations. I forgot what they are called, but id HAVE to wear a bag then. But at least I would have a good reason. Tiny pockets arent to me.

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2015 at 08:07 PM ----------

Male privilege extending to men's clothing! UGH!

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still say women have the advantage in that department. Nobody is going to say much if a woman decides to wear men's pants or shirts, some will even think it's cute. But if a man wears anything from the women's dept, people freak out. I can't wait to be at a place in my life where everyone sees me as a woman.