1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to things alone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by method, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Iowan1976

I eat out at restaurants and social functions alone all the time. It is ok, it really is. If I did not go out alone, I would never go out.

2. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started ditching my friends when I was in my mid-twenties because they started getting married and having kids and I found we had less and less in common. Never bothered to replace them. I have done pretty much everything by myself since then and, frankly, I prefer it. Granted, there are a lot of things I don't bother to do, as a result. But if it's something I really want to do, I will do it. For example, certain movies simply have to be seen in a theatre and I do that from time to time. Concerts, same. A nice dinner, however, is a bit of a drag. I've done it, but I generally don't. When I travel, I usually get a room with cooking facilities and cook and eat dinner in my room. I'm fine eating breakfast or lunch alone, though. Lots of people do. In fact, I've met a lot of nice people, often also eating by themselves, this way. Even dinner, for that matter, I've been amazed how many people will dine alone and seem quite comfortable doing so. Travelling business-types seem to do this a lot.

I don't think going to a play or musical alone would amount to screaming out "I'm gay".

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I definitely can't see movies alone. Well in addition to never wanting to i physically can't <_< nearest theater is far and I don't have a car. restaraunts is kind of different hm. For a bar or something I dunno.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever I'm not at film school or on a film shoot with friends, I'm as alone as an athiest in a catholic church (which I've been). Rarely do my roommates ever come out of their rooms, and I've had to be alone in more places than I can count. I was at Gino's East in the back corner table, reading my "new" George Carlin book alone.

5. Harve

The last time I went skiing I was in a massive ski area with friends who weren't as strong as me, spending half the morning in bed or just generally enjoyed arsing about. Fair do's, but I wanted to get more miles in so I skied on my own for the last two days. It would've been so much better if I was with others who wanted to do the same as me but it's better than spending half the day standing still.

Don't think I've needed to go anywhere else on my own though.

6. method

When I was younger, we didn't have a lot of money, so going 'out' and doing these sorts of things was always a special event and it was always done with family or friends. I got used to that and I suppose that's why it's harder for me to not expect that atmosphere doing those things.

I completely agree with just going ahead and doing it (yolo). I got it, it's a mental thing. Now to muster up that courage again... (!)

Too right!

There are at least a few people amongst my friends who buy into that stereotype unfortunately.

Agreed

A VERY good point!

Shopping is something that I absolutely CANNOT do with other people. I take far too long and feel bad for making people wait for me lol

7. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Feel like the odd one out here, going by most of the responses. Though I'm a considerably introverted personality, when it comes to the idea of going out and doing stuff, I would actually prefer some company for the most part. Granted I don't really have any experience to compare that with as of yet, but for me doing stuff in public on my own would probably make me both anxious and rush things. Trying to get them done and over with quickly as possible, as if they were errands.

Other than actual errands, seeing a movie or something like going to a library/bookstore [even the latter ones I wouldn't be opposed to having company,] I'd prefer my alone time to be more at home than in public.

All that said, it really depends on the given person. If you really want to see these things and can't find anyone interested, then there's nothing odd about going alone. Afterall, you're going to be focused largely on the play/musical anyway. :wink: Plus, it may feel more relaxing to see them on your own, since, to me, there wouldn't be that awkwardness of sitting with people you know and virtually not talking to them for who know's how long. :lol:

8. kylo

I go out to eat, to the cinema, etc quite often by myself. I see nothing wrong with it and in fact I think it's actually good. We do things with others, but I think it does us some good to do some of those same things by ourselves. People always look at me weird when they see me sitting by myself at the cinema or at a restaurant, but I could care less because you don't have to have someone else with you to enjoy something and we will always have those people who judge you for dumb things like that.

9. Hefiel

I couldn't find anybody to go to Montreal Comiccon this year (which also happened to be my first convention), but I wanted to go, so I went alone. Albeit lonely at times, I don't regret it. It was fun, and it was worth what I paid for.

I definitely would like to go there again next year with friends this time, but at least by going alone I don't feel like I missed out on anything. So, I encourage you to go to watch the play or musical by yourself. Of course if you can find someone else to go with you, it'd be great, but don't miss out on them just because you're alone.