1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back/testing?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheRealTheaJane, Feb 12, 2016.

1. TheRealTheaJane

Heyy'all =^.^=

So recently I've been "detransitioning" as it were. I'm still waiting on my initial appointment with the gender clinic after nearly a year (UK waiting times :bang: ) and this has obviously given me time to question myself some more.

My dysphoria hasn't really changed, but by this stage I've basically given up correcting people on the pronouns: a lot of my friends are fine, but many people just slip back into old habits I guess, especially at work. I've also stopped shaving my body, and have gone back to using my old deep voice which I haven't spoken with for years, and have (with conscious effort) gone back to behaving like a guy.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I still feel like correcting people, but at the same time, it's my body, I'm familiar with it, and it suits me. I suppose this isn't helped by the fact that I've started dating a girl who brushed aside the trans topic and treats me male, and I actually act like a boyfriend would around her.

I'm just really wondering if anyone else tried this, and whether it changed their perceptions? Or whether it's a waste of time?

Hope it's a good time atm for everyone :icon_redf

2. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not to undermine your gender identity or anything, but it sounds to me like you're more of a transvestite than transgender-- and that's okay, too! I like wearing women's clothing from time to time. But the point is, you seem to be in a steady relationship with a girl as a guy, but you have feminine tendencies. I don't really know much about transgender issues but I do know that a good movie to watch about stuff like that is Ed Wood, starring Johnny Depp, who plays the titular character who sometimes would go out in public in the 50s in full drag as a woman and he was perfectly comfortable with both his identity and his sexuality, it's based on a true story.

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I always suspected the real Ed Wood was transgender. Why? Because of Glenn or Glenda.

Can't give you much advice, it all depends on how comfortable you feel. It's never a good idea to do things you are not really comfortable with. The issue seems to be complicated as you are with a girl who seems to want you as a man, it must be hard for you having to hide that feminine side.

Do you think you could find another gender therapist? At least to talk about it...

4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, absolutely, he was an interesting fellow to say the least. All I'm saying is that that movie can be a good source of help for a lot of people. I know some transgender people who said that it really helped them through the worst of times. I mean, I'm not sure why, I'm a cisgender male and I'm comfortable that way but I appreciate a film being able to bring comfort to people of any sort as something of an amateur filmmaker myself.