1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting past the fear...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Questions93, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Questions93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys,

Havent posted on here in a while, life has been crazy over the last few months with both good and bad things.

I want to ask a question, that i've probably asked before. But im sitting here, feeling a bit overwhelmed with things, and just need to get this out of my head.

How do you know if its the right thing to tell someone you really care about, about your mental health issues.

How do you get past the idea, that by telling them you have suicidal thoughts, that you make it much worse for them if you go on to actually end it all. Like you're guaranteeing that they will feel like they could have done something. When really they couldnt!

I am seeing a therapist, so dont worry. He knows that i'm not going to do anything, anytime soon, but do have a general negative outlook on how things will turn out.

So yeah, really what i struggle with is....by telling someone you've had suicidal thoughts in the past. Are you condemning them to feeling like they could have done something, if things dont work out in the future? And how do you get past this?.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an interesting paradox that the more we speak about our feelings the more control we have over them. It's the silence that really condemns us to greater suffering and when it comes to suicidal thoughts and feelings that's especially true.

Will talking about it be some kind of miracle cure? No, absolutely not. Suicidal feelings are deep and complex, so you're not going to overcome all of the darkness and distress by being more open on one single occasion, but you will give yourself a fighting chance of survival if you alert other people to those feelings and continue to break the silence. Let's be clear, the presence of suicidal feelings doesn't make your demise to suicide inevitable.

One in three of us will struggle with our mental health at some point in our lives, so what are we so ashamed of? Break the silence, break the stigma and be a mental health survivor rather than a mental health victim.