1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting back with an ex

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Daydreamer1, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last year I had a short relationship with this guy who lives out of state. I was a huge emotional basket case at the time we were dating and on top of that, I was very insecure and still in the closet so that made things much more complicated and worse. I ended the relationship for reasons I'd rather not talk about and I avoided talking to him for several months until my birthday when he sent me a text message. I didn't want to be rude and ignore him at this point and we've been talking almost non-stop since that November night.

He's been hinting or implying that he wanted to get back with me since we started talking again and I haven't been sure how to react since I'm not sure what my emotions are doing anymore. While I was in the hospital, it made me realize more and more how much I missed him and having someone in my life. We had a long talk last night about making possible arrangements for me to visit him before he goes back to school and for us to get back together. I'm not sure when that will be, but I suspect it will be soon.

My question is, what do I do? Like how do I prepare for the possibility of me getting back with him? I have commitment issues and it took a lot for me to let my guard down which I rarely do since I've been backstabbed a lot. I want to be a better person for him this time, but I'm worried my emotions will take over and launch us into the air with no safety net. Any advice will be helpful, especially considering we'd be long distance again and he's going back to school in the fall.

2. Have you openly talked to him about these concerns?

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. We're both concerned about the distance, but we both said we'll find a way. I just hope it works this time.

4. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I'm having the concerns about getting back with my ex,bc I have fear around men but he didn't cause it.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I'm worried about is communication because he has a summer job and he's going back to school in the fall and I'm concerned that he might get really busy.

6. Mrcake

You can make the relationship work ,it's a matter of both of you being patient with each other. It depends on how you want to be. Do you want to visit every month, week, etc? Or is it only once a year. The big question is: Are you willing to not have a physical relationship every day, or are you happy with seeing each other only a few times a year.

7. biggayguy

Are the reasons you broke up with him still there? If they are you will have to work them out together. It's tough because you end up falling back into the old patterns. I tried this twice with exes. It did not work. I do wish you luck if this is what you really want.