1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a job while trans

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by XXReye, Oct 13, 2011.

1. XXReye

So I identify as agender, but I decided to present as male in the workplace (since it's better than being seen as female).
    I've been putting "Mr." on my resume in the hopes that it will clue people in to "Hey, I am a guy!" even if I'm not 100% at passing. But apparently people have not been paying it any regard. I've had a couple interviews since and people always use female pronouns. After it slips out, I get all flustered and then mess up the interview cause I can't stop thinking about it.
    Furthermore, I'm worried about my dad outing me. I still live with him and he isn't supportive of me being trans (meaning he doesn't believe I am or that it is possible). I'm worried they will call and ask for me, and he'll be like "Ok I'll go get her" and then my cover is blown. I can't give out my cell number instead because my cell service is unreliable.
    All my previous job experience was from before my transition, and there are some employers I don't feel comfortable about calling to tell them about it.
    My dad keeps pressuring me to get a job but there are not a lot of places hiring around here. Some of them that are, I know wouldn't be trans-friendly environments but I know my dad wouldn't see that as valid.

Uhg, I dunno. What do I do? Maybe I just needed to vent my frustration about this.

2. DhammaGamer

What kind of transition did you have?

3. XXReye

I've gotten top surgery, I'm trying to pass to the general public as male. I'm not on any hormones (and I don't plan to be).

4. Katelynn

I was actually kind of afraid of this, since I've heard mixed things about looking for work being trans, so I chickened out & went back to college instead. I think transitioning fully while at my college will be much easier, as I have 2 years, people tend to be a bit more open minded in college & I can enter the workforce as me instead of trying to explain who I am to an employer...