1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General: Coming out to Mother Vs Father

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by mangotree, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

I posted in here a while before, but I'm actually out now and both parents took it well

2. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess my family was the opposite of the common trend. My father was somewhat phased by it but didn't take it too hard. He was disappointed but it was not nearly as bad as it could have been. My mom however is extremely fervent in her religious beliefs (Catholicism) and as such had a very negative reaction to my coming out. So much so that she refuses to really acknowledge it or talk about it at all. But at least I didn't get disowned, so once again, not as bad as it could be.

On the whole though when reading peoples' coming out stories it does seem like peoples mothers are more accepting than their fathers, but that was not the case at all for me.

3. Abdadhie

I have come out to my mother about my sexuality but not my gender. My father knows nothing. I think that he will be ok with it though. My gender is something I worry about telling both of them!

4. Pie

Pie Guest

Both my parents were very accepting but my dad's reaction was better because he didn't think it was a big deal. He said "as long as you are happy". With my mom however I had a 2 hour long discussion about how life is so much harder for gays, which was kind of boring. As if it were some kind of birth-defect that complicated your life in all aspects.

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm more scared coming out to my mom!

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

My mother is in denial, and not accepting.

I actually would think that my dad would take it better, but he knows nothing about transgender at all.. So I told my mom. Big mistake.

I've decided not to mention it again (to either of them) until I go noticeably farther into my transition (surgery and/or hormones)

7. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    neither of my parents accepted it, and neither of them know about my gender.

8. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Both my dad and mom will definitely be supportive. The only person in my entire family i can see not being so supportive is my step dad. But he wouldnt be a dick i just dont see him taking it well right away.

9. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    always been way more scared of coming out to my mum.

10. WannaBeMe

Men generally are more susceptible to homophobia because of their testosterone driven egos. Thankfully not all men are like this but many are. One time my parents asked if I was gay, at the time I still didn't understand my feelings so I said no and my step-dad said that I shouldn't tell him if I was. And that he really didn't want to know. Like I said, it's usually the testosterone in sync with the whole gay is bad up bringing. Thankfully my mom's side of the family was brought up to be accepting of everyone. I honestly think all families should be brought up like this.

11. Magnus Bane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I would have definitely told my Dad first, since he was a stay-at-home dad and much more of a parent to me than my mom...but he died first [#cancersucks] and I didn't know who I was until later. My mom was accepting, though.

12. Eli98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think I would be able to tell either of my parents. My dad and I don't have a great relationship. He is very closed minded but I don't think that he would be bothered about me being bi but he is the type of person to smother you. I think the only way to discribe his personality is slimy. I feel uncomfortable hugging him. Don't get me wrong I still love him like a dad but I don't think I could ever tell him. Call me a chicken but I just couldn't. My mum I have no idea. I can't read her but she is very explosive with her words and she tends to keep them for me and my younger brother.
    I think I would have to wait until I'm out of the house to be able to tell her.