1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender stuff (just looking for a little support)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WindPaws, Aug 15, 2016.

1. WindPaws

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hope this doesn't come off as super needy..
    I don't have many people I can talk to about this kinda stuff anymore though.

So I've been really struggling with a lot of different stuff lately & one of them has been my gender identity & stuff.

I think I'm getting to where I almost have a solid answer for myself but my confidence is basically non-existent, from all the short lived "answers" I've came to before only to change my mind & the stupid way people treat me.

I'm not really looking for advice as much as emotional support.
    I'm very depressed & I just wish I got to talk more about this out than I have.

It feels silly to ask for help this far in but I just feel isolated without having someone to tell, who will understand what I'm talking about.

So basically my current conclusion is that both my sex & gender are still male but my gender expression is fluid..
    Is "gender expression fluid" a thing yet?
    I feel like it should be.
    (I mean it's not really a catchy phrase but that's not really the goal, y'know.lol)

Anyways I feel like I'm just plagued by all these little doubts.
    I'm afraid that if I tell people I'm male they will keep treating me as masculine-I cant understand why those traits are inseparable in so many people's minds.
    Then I'm weirdly afraid of changing my mind about what I am again.
    And I feel like people will judge me a lot for wanting to wear women's clothes sometimes.

I mean "tomboy"s get to wear guy clothes, I figure its the same thing,right?

Are there any nice terms for a guy like me, who enjoys behaving effeminately & looking a bit girly?
    I've heard a few but they are all either insults or sound mildly inappropriate for polite company,y'know? )=

2. AmyBee

Wow, I'm not really sure about gender expression fluid, but I don't see why it couldn't be a thing. Your expression of gender could certainly be apart from your identification as a gender. Like you could be male and simply enjoy wearing makeup and dresses or whatever.

It does suck that people have to judge others on how they express themselves through clothes and style and presentation and all that go with it. People catch hell for not conforming to strict gender binaries. So it can be confusing if you like things associated with the feminine but you yourself don't identify as a woman. But it's okay to do that and vice versa. We shouldn't even need approval from others to do so, right?

Anyway, don't worry. I don't think you're being needy at all! You have to have someone to talk to about this. There's nothing negative about that.

3. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Windpaws,

AmyBee is SO right, you don't have to feel "needy" because you have to talk about it. That's kinda the whole point of this amazing website.

AmyBee is also right that it sucks that we have to be perceived as one way or another just so others feel comfortable. That is one of the things that drives me crazy. Making myself feel uncomfortable just so that complete strangers are comfortable with my identity. But, that is kinda the society we live in right now. We are moving in the right direction, but we have a long way to achieve full acceptance.

Anyways, the term you are looking for is ANDROGYNY. It's kinda my way of life right now. I can't stand wearing male clothing on a regular basis, or appearing male, but I still think I'm a little early in my transition to comfortably, fully wear women's clothing full-time. However, I will say that there are times that I do just put on a male outfit and find it "ok" every now and again. I think of it as akin to cis women wearing men's clothes for reasons of comfort. So right now, I am totally androgynous. I completely wear clothing that could be worn by either sex. I do wear makeup, but I wear so little that it is barely noticeable. As I further transition, I will present more and more feminine until it is 24/7. But right now, androgyny is my lifestyle LOL.

I hope that helps some!!!

4. WindPaws

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Aww..first of all thank you both so much.<3

Thank you, that was pretty much exactly what I needed to hear!
    It really helps to be around accepting people who understand what I'm talking about.

It still surprises me how many people act like I'm speaking in riddles.

It did help actually, although it kinda raises some questions for me.
    I briefly thought I could androgynous before but I kinda dismissed it & now that I hear you saying it I'm not sure if it means what I thought it did.

I always thought of androgynous as kinda riding a fine line between genders, am I wrong?
    Cuz I mean...Sometime I like that idea but I was leaning twards "fluid" or whatever cuz sometimes I want to dress fully as one gender or the other,too....not always but definitely sometimes.

Well, tbh - right now I can't really,anyways.
    I think I forgot to mention that?
    I'm tight on money & live with family I'm not out to,ect.

The closest I've gotten to cross-dressing as an adult is like tying shirts around my chest in front of the mirror & pretending it's a strapless dress. :icon_redf

But it just makes me happy to think about looking that way sometimes.

But then I have moments when I feel like a male again...I honestly almost never feel "guy-ish" though.

It's almost always some kind of feminine, in some fashion.
    I kinda ping pong between being a slightly femmy-guy to an almost girl then sometime I just want look more stereotypically gay?
    Well...for lack of a better word anyways..."gay" doesn't really mean much in terms of presentation anymore...I'd post pictures of what I mean but I wasn't clear on the rules for posting links & stuff like that here. =/

Well..I guess it's something else for me to consider at any rate.

Thank you for sharing so much with me!
    I do feel a little less down.
    I hope your transition is going well. =)