1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender dysphoria and Bi Polar

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Philbrum1815, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Philbrum1815

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've not been here for a while as I've not been feeling too well ☹️.

I went to the doctors today. I got a bit upset and emotional about my sexuality and mental health. He has referred me to the mental health service, as he thinks I've been suffering with Bi Polar my entire life. Obviously he can't diagnose me as he's just a GP (General Practitioner). But I know he's right. If not, then it's definitely a similar illness at best. I also have gender dysphoria.

Has anyone on here got any illnesses like this? If so, how are you coping?

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hugs.

With gender dysphoria I usually cope by wearing things that make me feel better or distract myself with listening music, singing or doing other activities I enjoy. Also self care is very important, like getting enough sleep and exercise and eating properly and everything else.

I don't have bipolar, but there are medicine for it that helps with it, so if you get diagnosed, then listen your doctors.

3. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My psychologist recently suggested that I could have cyclothymia, also know as bipolar III. I have no diagnosis yet and it could just be a nothing, however it’s interesting how I could have it though. It makes a bit of sense to me personally. I‘m pretty sure you don’t cope with it though lol, it’s mostly medication that keeps it stable. If you do have bipolar I strongly advise you to get it quickly diagnosed and medication started, it will save you a world of pain

4. Philbrum1815

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not sure about the meds. They're pretty brutal to be fair. Hopefully they don't recommend Lithium. I wouldn't have that if they paid me a million pounds lol

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is nothing funny here. I'm sure no one would write you a medication, that they didn't believe would be helpful and it's a matter of proper dosages and working on yourself and properly taking your medication and if there are sideeffects communicating with a doctor who prescribed them to change the medication, because there will be one that is going to be suitable for you and gives you no sideeffects.

Getting better depends on if you want to get better. If you don't then well, there is nothing anyone can do to help. You must want to get better.

I might have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, but it's not confirmed, while it's not bipolar, then it is a genetic disease that is there for your whole life, but if I get the diagnosis, then there are meds that help. I have taken plenty of depression meds, that had sideeffects, but eventually I found one that would help and now I don't feel hopless and they helped me to get over over things beside depression. Now I don't take depression meds, because I feel I don't need them. I just have hard time to controll emotions, but I work on myself and there has been a bit of progress.