1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Voice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack2009, Jun 11, 2009.

1. NkyJ

I do not have a lisp or anything that comes close to it. I did have a straight friend once who talked with a lisp, so obviously the lisp isn't found only in gay men. I think the media points it out while portraying the gay stereotype. I also think that there are gay men who start talking with a lisp just when in company of others who possess the lisp. It's very interesting, they should do more studies on it.

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Yeah I dont have it, not even close. You also have to remember some straight guys have it and women natrually have it as well.

Side note we did an experiment with the gay accent. At work we had 3 diffrent accents for most of the night. A normal accent got you fair tips, $5. A southern accent (hillbilliyish) got you very low tips $.50....the winner?

The gay accent pulling in a wopping $.50 for every customer which ended up being a good $12. its a small store...$10 a night is a lot.

3. Meropspusillus

I can fake it pretty easy, but I don't really have it. I know people who "sound gay" but they're all straight.

4. Doreibo

Yea, It is out there. Some people have it. But the thing is, I know a dad who has it too. He is straight and an awesome bloke, but he has the lisp. I don't have it, but like alot of people, I can do a mean impression of it.

5. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Anyone care to post a video of someone talking with a lisp, and someone talking with a gay list, and why not a 'gay voice' just for kicks.

6. GoBabyGoGo

haha just before i came out to my friend at the mardi gras he was saying, i dont mean to be stereotypical, but why do all gay guys have a lisp?

I don't have a lisp, but the two overly flammy feminine gay guys at my school do :frowning2:

I dont find it at all attractive. Ive decided that i like slightly feminine guys that arent at all flambouyant or bitchy. The sensitive types i guess...

7. ANightDude

I never had one, got into High School and BAM!
    All the sudden gained a slight one that goes on and off for some reason.

It's really noticable in school, at home it isn't, or outside of school it isn't really. Can't explain that.

8. RCooper

Haha. No one in my community has any accent whatsoever. I live in the suburbs of NYC, in a rather wealthy area, so any sign that could be interpreted as a weakness is stamped out. We have a class at my school in 5th grade that teaches the "standard" american english accent.

9. fallendream

its a coincidence - i have a slight lisp but then again some straight people do.

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my experience, it's a stereotype. Although I'm not sure if it's possible to have a lisp with my accent. The two don't really go hand in hand...

11. fallendream

merseyside had roadwars and im pretty sure there used to have someone on it with a lisp - not sure now though.

#31 fallendream, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  12. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The thing I hate is how people(at least where i live) seem to think that you aren't truly gay unless you have the lisp and fit the whole gay stereotype like being into the latest fashion and whatnot. I don't have the lisp at all yet everyone I know feels it's a requirement to let everyone know you are gay as if the whole "I like men and not women and am also a man." thing isn't enough.

13. TEres321

It depends on who i'm with.
    In general though, i always sound more femenine, my voice DID crack,
    just not very much.

14. AXavierB

Ugh, I hear that. I hate people who act like being gay is some sort of club that you have to meet arbitrary criteria to join.

I wouldn't say I have a "gay voice". The pitch of my voice depends on my mood and who I'm talking to.

I don't lisp at all unless I'm mocking the voice, but I do tend to enunciate my consonants a lot. But that's just because I make a point to speak as properly as I can.

#34 AXavierB, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  15. KnightAssassin

i have a natural lisp and i work very hard to keep it covered up because i don't like it since i was made fun of in k-3 grade second i can do alot of different sound i can imitate deep or high pitched voices but usually my normal voice is about a a flat on tuner lol

16. godfather

godfather Guest

hhaha yea it's a steryotype !
    GF

17. Just Adam

i can do the lispy voice but dont really bother its to much like effort so i just talk ....or drink thats effort enough,

i knew a guy who over did the voice thing by shed loads it was so annoying. he found it fun to try and fit in with the women and annoy guys.... funny really as i would of thought annoying guys was the last thing he wanted to do

18. CrystalCat

I've known many a gay men with a lisp, but they would always try to hold it back at the risk of being told they're being "gay". But got over it and didn't give a fuck anymore. But yea some gay men have a lisp. Idk why, but they do

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's almost certainly somehow biological. Because if it's a "learned behavior", surely the homophobia over the past hundred years would've eliminated it? It's not like it was a passcode or a badge of honor - guys have been trying to get rid of their "gay accent" for decades now, without success.

I have yet to run into anybody who thinks my accent isn't strong enough to be gay. :slight_smile: I HAVE run into a couple who have problems with it being as strong as it is. But it remains just that - their problem.

Lex

20. Elven

I have no lisp or "Gay Accent" but i've never really met many gay people at all, at least not for long periods of time... I'm sorry but I have this attribute where as I hate to fit into any steriotype, i'm not very feminine at all other than having lots of female friends and aswell as finding lisps annoying which I am guilty about, seeing a gay person who has a lisp and says things like "girlfriend" to much annoys me far more as they increase the steriotype i'm trying not to fit into... I wish I didn't get annoyed over it but thats just me....