1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Stereotypes!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mychemromance99, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Anian

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was a little kid I was obsessed with Disney princesses and the color pink. It eventually faded away though.

2. AKTodd

If the list of stereotypes gets so wide ranging that it becomes necessary to start speaking in terms of different people fitting some of them and not others, then I suggest that it has essentially become meaningless. And may owe more to confirmation bias than reality.

To use the example of being bad at math that was mentioned earlier...there are surely lots of guys who are bad at math. Do we assume they are all gay? Or do we say the straight ones are just straight guys who are bad at math but if there are any gay ones in the group then they 'fit the stereotype' and take it as proof of something?

Todd

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since when is being bad at maths a gay stereotype? I've never heard of that one. It certainly seems to be one I don't fit at all.. I study something with lots of maths in it. :lol: I'm quite good at it as well. :lol:

#43 Quem, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. EnchanterForest

I am gay but for people I some times do and some time don't fit into their stereotype, It depends on the person and how well they know me.

5. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Depends on the stereotype.
    I've realized that I do fit into some stereotypes.
    I've decided to ignore it. I don't care anymore unless it is nasty and wrong.

6. ecallan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a bisexual female and I fall into some of those stereotypes that are generally pressed upon gay males. I've been criticized about it, so I don't think it just applies to gay men. On the other hand I get criticized by my family for being too masculine. I mean what?

7. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As a confused, and kinda curious guy - is it weird if I say that I find some of the feminine gay stereotypes kind of appealing?

8. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nah bro, honestly i think a lot of folks exaggerate the stereotypes in an effort to make themselves more attractive. Feminine dudes are obviously desirable to a good amount of other gays

9. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's nice to know :slight_smile:

10. Spiderstalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    funny subject, the other day a girl that i started randomly talking threw this:
    me: i'm thinking i am bit complicated
    her: why, are you gay?
    me: :slight_smile:eek: ) no, the complicated thing is that i forgot to do some errands

After this she kept speaking whilst i was fighting zombies in my own mind acting like i was there, she said ''sorry, is just that the way you dress and your style is mostly the one gay man use'' so i replied ''so does clothes/styles indicate people's sexuality for you'' she kept mumbling on that she had tons of gay Friends and that some of them are very masculine too so she didnt thought that, well basically she was contradicting herself after every sentence and even mentioned that she was a lesbian and had a girlfriend, i said okay good for you (that's cool) hope that you're girlfriend is less childish and confusing lol, then i stopped talking to her (this was after she also asked if i was Emo or something because my style was very emo-like apparently so even if i wasn't any of that is what i was ''representing to society'' anyway :lol: (i honestly was surprised that even for a girl in favor of diversity she acted in such ignorant way but go figure)

Edit: the style i think she meant the hairstyle, because my clothes were a normal white t-shirt, jeans and shoes which i think are used by 90% of the population

#50 Spiderstalker, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  11. tscott

I would totally agree, however, there certainly are gay stereotypes which are more subtle to which I have to admit. Most have to do with interests rather than behaviours.

1. I wear a lot of pink...to the point it is noticed by my fellow members in the Rochester Gay Men's Chorus...I even have two chairs upholstered in pink.
    2. I sing in a gay men's chorus.
    3. I love musical theatre, since I could sing along with the recording of "My Fair Lady" at age four, including opera.
    4. I love to cook and believe my presentation and table setting are all equally important.
    5. I fuss too much over my clothes and my appearance.
    6. I am devoted fan of "Downton Abbey"

That being said:

1. I'm a bear, and I like men that are men.
    2. I like the outdoors, not just the beach.
    3. I follow hockey, Rugby, and baseball.
    4. I couldn't care less about "America's Got Talent" and shows of this ilk.
    5. I like being around dogs, horses, and stables
    6. I don't like to dance

Stereotypes exist for a reason. They always are the most obvious characteristics. You cannot tar an entire population with the same brush, however. It's important to remember that.

#51 tscott, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016