1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Signs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MixedNutz, Nov 15, 2012.

1. TheSeeker

Ok, I have a Bi-pride ring that I have only worn for the last couple of days so no response to that yet. I don't have any "tells" concerning my personality, my voice is masculine, I dress masculine. I do like scarves... because they're warm. It was also just a habit I picked up in Africa. As for the watch thing, maybe it's a tell in the UK, but when I was there I didn't have guys hitting on me for wearing it on the "wrong wrist". Let me tell you all (gather round) why watches are usually worn on the left wrist...

So, some of you kids may not remember, but there was a time in the way-back-long-ago when people listened to CDs, phones were not "smart", and watches had hands. Yes, gasp you should!

In these dark times, one would have to wind their watch or set it using a knob on the side of the face. As most of the population was right handed, the watch was worn on the left wrist... because it was really annoying to try to wind that tiny little knob with your non-dominant hand Since the knob was mounted on the right side of the face, it pointed down toward the wearer's left hand, and could easily be wound be the right.

Now, I am left handed, and I have always worn a watch like this... On my right wrist. The knob faces the wrong way, and occasionally digs into my forearm, but can still be wound by the dominant hand. I tried it on my left wrist, but I couldn't wind the damn knob with my right hand so... Is it a sign of being gay, no. It's a sign that the world f*cking hates left handed people...

The more you know!
    [​IMG]

2. CTJ

CTJ

...My watch still has hands, but nothing else. No numbers or lines, It was a bitch to read when i first got it.

The whole watch on a right wrist thing was told to me by older people, before i used to own a watch i'd ask people for the time and point to my right wrist. I got the response; "oh you don' wanna be doin' tha' sonny-jim, people'll think your a fairy fruit. Only puffs wear watches on the right"

I think it might be generational, because they still seem to think anything on the right is a gay sign, earrings, wallet in the back pocket, key chains, etc etc are gay signs.

3. MichaelB

I've never heard of that before haha. Is that really a gay sign? 'cause if so, then yeah I do.

I wear 4 rings every day, each given to me by somebody. Kinda ran out of fingers man, so one goes on my thumb and the other, my middle finger on my right hand. xD

#23 MichaelB, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  4. Colours

Never heard of the watch thing. I used to wear it on my right hand because I had no clue it is usually worn on the left. xd Until both my ex and his mother asked me 'Oh, you wear your watch on your right?' within a few days of time... so I started wearing it on my left since I don't want people to think I'm weird and I personally don't have a preference. But I never heard anyone say it's a gay sign.

I like scarves as well... some people will think that's a sign.

I wear a bracelet on my right arm and a ring on my right hand, just on the ring finger. I wear it not because anyone has given it to me, I just like it lol.

5. Yoderrick

I got none most ppl think I'm str8 and even when I tell them they don't believe and say I'm to much like a man to be gay or bi (not sure what they rly mean by that tho)

6. HatterMad

I never heard of that one. When I do wear a watch or bracelet I wear it on my right hand because I"m left handed and they get in my way.

I would like a gay-pride ring. That would be cool.

I never heard of most of the signs here.

7. caramba2654

I dunno. I might wear a rainbow string-bracelet on the near future.

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I ever saw someone with a watch on their right side, I would just assume they were left handed. Seeker: you could always try a watch that doesn't wind or have buttons or knobs on the side.

9. SFSorrow

I got asked (by a friend who is a bit older, so supporting the generational thing) about the watch thing years ago (before I started questioning) and I thought it was ridiculous, I wear it on my right wrist because I'm left handed. Mind you, as left handedness is more common amongst gay people there might be a slight correlation.

10. Ticklish Fish

I thought right hand and left hand watch is because of gender or class or something?

who needs watches now when we get time in phones? XD

11. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, at least not yet anyway. I'm a fairly non-descript person. :confused:

However, once I have more confidence or am less self-conscious, I have thought of getting some sort of pride/LGBT-related wristband.

12. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I don't know what gay signs I'm giving out but everyone I've come out to, has told me they had always suspected me being gay.

A couple people said it was the way I would look at other women, or interact with other women. It's just something in my personality, or the way that I am. It's hard to explain but it's there!

13. Suffocation

I remember kids in elementary saying "If you have an earring on your right ear, that means you are gay. But it doesn't mean that if its the left ear, or both."

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :roflmao:

OMFG That's the best! (*hug*)

15. Aquilo

I wear scarves, but that's mostly because I hate being cold. I have pink shoelaces which might be a sign, but haven't had to courage to put those in my shoes yet..

16. leer

was told to look out for people with a hankie or silk scarf hanging out the back pocket so i looked & looked & looked Even tried it myself nothing maybe it`s something like a gay old wives tale .

17. Deaf Not Blind

the eating one is true as i used to pierce ears. left is straight, right gay, both is either i guess. i don't like men in earrings, i never had mine done. yup, i pierced and never been pierced!

18. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When guys pull the cuffs of their sweatshirts/hoodies over their hands, or just genuinely don't show their hands at all.

19. Gen

Gen

Dammit! This is me, but there is some truth to it. Its a subtle detail that most people will not notice. Even the people that do it probably dont give too much thought to it.

For example, if you take a hoodie, or something with sleeves, and look at yourself in the mirror. You should see that their is actually a small difference in the appearance of someone with their sleeves rolled up to their elbow, versus someone who has them pulled down past the wrist, showing only half the hand. Similar to why the sleeves pulled up is more popular with man, and pulled down is more popular with women.

So it isnt really a "gay sign" as much as a feminine characteristic.

20. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait, I'm confused. It's common for guys to roll up their sleeves?? :confused: