Gay guys, would you be creeped out by this?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KingDavey, Jan 26, 2014.

1. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't have a problem dating a religious person as long as he isn't a fanatic about it. I might find that kind of stuff in his room unusual, but not a deal breaker.

2. MrBrightside

Makes no difference to me, and im aetheist. As long as you didnt preach to me or make me follow catholic rules then its cool.

3. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are one funny guy! Best reply of the day...

Seriously, if you still hold to your religious beliefs, and it weirds someone out, I say "just f**k 'em." (Please don't ban me for this. It was just a joke!)

4. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, that was fun there for a second, which I guess shows I'm making progress in my own quest. But in my own snarky way, I was serious.

Would it creep me out? Not if I've already gotten to your bedroom, even just as friend hanging out with you. But I'd probably ask you about it, and about the importance of religion in your life. And then, if your beliefs were really antithetical to mine, it might limit things. But then, wouldn't you want that to be the case?

In any case, I think you posed a really interesting question, and it made me think about things in a different way. Thanks.

5. emkorora

emkorora Guest

It all depends on context.

A cross above the door is a little much, but it is not off-putting.

Jesus nailed to the crucifix above the door is horrific.

-----

A neatly kept "corner" of imagery (gentile posters, quotes, songs, etc.) regarding religion is kind of thoughtful.

But mournful reminders of religion, dark images-- anything bordering on obsessive-- is disconcerting.

Hope this helps for examples.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was brought up a catholic... but having said that, it would put me off a little if the guy was INCREDIBLY religious (like wouldn't shut up about religion). A the group I go to there is a gay guy who is very very very catholic (and he even studies theology...) so it's not that unusual.

7. Nerkpoop78

I'm a Catholic myself. I would definitely feel creeped out. Haha it just feels weird like someone's watching you having sex. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. AaronMed

I'm an atheist and I would definitely be seriously creeped out by that. Religion doesn't have a place in the bedroom when things are getting steamy, tyvm. XD

9. Bullet1020

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i wouldnt .. i got used tp it cpz ny mom and grandma are religious people..

ima Catholic

10. KingDavey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't get me wrong this is funny and all, but just to point out, I'm definitely not going to have sex in my room with all the stuff but I was asking if it's room where we're not going to do anything would it be off-putting still?

11. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a pansexual girl, not a gay guy, but if I was there with a girl then I'd probably just start a conversation about it because I love talking about things like religion. It wouldn't really bother me or anything, it would just be one of the quirks about that person that I can grow to appreciate.

12. bde9000

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    it wouldn't creep me out but I would def. want to discuss it

13. Deaderpool2

So long as they realised i would never convert to their religion and not want to have talks about it id be fine. But then would that be okay with you if u were wanting a relationship instead of a one night stand or occasional hook ups? if not then a guy like that is not for you. dont change yourself to meet the expectations of others; be happy with yourself first.

14. Camrok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As long as it wasn't overkill I really don't think I would mind.

15. XTREMEZish

I would play the book of mormon hello song from the play on my phone.

16. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't judge people immediately like that. I might be taken aback but I prefer to spend my time to getting to know someone before I cast judgment like that.

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I used to be a super-devout Catholic. I attended the Tridentine Latin Mass on Sundays. (I still think the traditional Latin Mass is incredibly beautiful while the modern English Masses with guitar music are horrible abominations, so I would love for some new pope to ban the new Mass and re-instate the medieval Latin Mass, even though I would like the church to become a lot more liberal in most regards, like gay rights :grin:).

I never had any crucifixes on my walls, though I did have a Rosary hanging on my bedpost; as a 13-year-old I would pray all 5 decades of the Rosary every night- in Latin. All those Ave Marias and Pater Nosters. Now that was creepy. :lol:

My bookshelves still have some indications that betray my former Catholic fanaticism. Copies of the Clementine Latin Vulgate Bible, the traditional Haydock Douay-Rheims Bible with Catholic commentary, the Greek New Testament and Septuagint, the Confessions of St. Augustine, a copy of "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ" from the revelations of Sr. Anne Catherine Emmerich. I still have a whole bunch of traditional 1962 Roman Missals.

And oh yeah, I spent 17 out of my 23 years on earth in Catholic schools.

But I am now an atheist and militantly opposed to religion, especially the Abrahamic cults (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). So I would prefer any potential boyfriend be an atheist or agnostic, or at least just non-religious.

However, coming from my own Catholic background, and still considering myself to be culturally Catholic, I wouldn't be creeped out at all by dating a gay guy who was Catholic and had crucifixes on the wall. So at least for me personally, I would say it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe some gay guys would take issue with it and be creeped out, but that's their problem, don't let them bother you.

Now if you were like an Evangelical Protestant sorta Christian, then I might be creeped out a bit, those people scare me. :eek:

18. josh9623

i don't think i would be creeped out but i might be a little put off by it, i would get used to it but as others have said as long as you don't try to convert me i would probably be fine with it. the reason it would be off putting for me is due to my previous dealings with religion which aren't very positive.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm agnostic, but I'd be perfectly fine with dating someone who is religious, as long as they don't push it on me, and I won't push my lack of religion on them.